+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Short day sleeps

My ds is 11 weeks old. Up until a week ago he was a great sleeper. He had a morning sleep of approx 1.5 hours and then a 2-3 hour afternoon sleep. He was also only waking 1-2 times a night. A week ago he stopped the good day sleeps and will only have 40min sleeps. He is not coping with the perpetual tiredness and neither am I. Any advice?
    My dd was the same and after a while her night deteriorated too and at 3 she is still a shocking sleeper. I can't cope with two bad sleepers so keen for advice early on. I've tried resettling, self settling and nothing has worked. I haven't left home for 3 days as he is getting grumpier by the day.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Short day sleeps

Anyone? I started the Babybliss theory today and I'm committing the next 5 days to fixing this, has anyone had any success with extending naps through sleep training and resettling?

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Short day sleeps

No experience with it sorry but just wanted to say good luck :-)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Short day sleeps

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMaes View Post
    Anyone? I started the Babybliss theory today and I'm committing the next 5 days to fixing this, has anyone had any success with extending naps through sleep training and resettling?
    Yes, I had great success with babybliss, it took about 2 weeks to start seeing a big difference. DS was very similar to yours, catnapping in the day from about 12 weeks. Good luck!

Also it's not true that 'sleep training' is not recommend before 6 months. What's not recommended is controlled crying and cry it out methods. Babybliss doesn't involve either

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Short day sleeps

My DS has only ever slept for three 45 min naps in the day and that is with me rocking him to sleep. He is 4.5 months now.

I wish I could get him to sleep longer for even just one of those naps!!

I have tried various gentle techniques and sometimes I will get a bit longer. Basically if I go in and he is WIDE awake I don't bother trying to re-settle as it will not happen and the resulting tears are upsetting for both of us.

If he is still tired (rubbing eyes, cranky, etc) then I try and re-settle him in the cot but shushing and stroking him. If this doesn't work I will pick him up and try and rock him back to sleep.

I do this for a max of 10 mins and if he is not asleep after that time I get him up. I figure I don't want to spend his first year on earth forcing him to sleep against his will!

I do think he needs less sleep than most babies though. Most days he isn't too cranky and if he is on occasion I put him to bed at 6pm-ish instead of 7pm.

It might sound obvious but for the first 12 weeks I wasn't putting him down in his cot in his sleeping bag as I wanted to keep that for night sleeps. Since doing that for days naps too I have had MUCH more success. Wish I had done it earlier!!

DS has one feed in the night and occasionally needs a quick re-settle but otherwise that's it, which I am happy with. In his case, when he does sleep longer in the day he doesn't sleep as well at night. This is probably another reason why I don't push it...

Good luck! It's so hard to know what to do.

Day stay sleep school is something you might want to consider but you would need to be prepared for controlled crying (although they call it controlled comforting I believe!). But if I was at the end of my tether I would consider it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At around 3-4months babies will change their sleep cycles and spend a lot less time in deep sleep and more in lighter sleep stages. He is waking after 40 min as this is the length of one sleep cycle. He needs to learn how to self settle again.

Looks like you have already found a way, good luck! I have posted about sleep issues on my blog. If you have a look at my profile, you will find the link.

All the best!
    Full Time Mum

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Short day sleeps

Massive breakthrough today, he had two long sleeps. Both times he woke but I resettled the first sleep and he did it himself the second time. Keeping my fingers crossed we can keep it going. Thanks for all your encouraging posts. Btw Babybliss is so calming and no controlled crying

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Short day sleeps

Day4 and it all went pear shape. He had a great day 2 but yesterday no longer than 40 min each sleep and today the same. I'm at wits end and just don't know what to do. Do e spend a fortune on a sleep whisperer?

Thanks
    Reviews

TBH no, I don't think you should spend a fortune. It's just a phase and your baby should grow out of it. By 6 months things will hopefully improve.

My DD 4 months wakes at 4.30 each morning recently and doesnt go back to sleep. I've just accepted it and keep reminding myself she won't wake this early forever. Just go with the flow.

Me + DH
    DS 2
    DD
    :-)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Oh that's a shame to hear. I would personally persevere with babybliss, he may have just had an off day (or couple of days!) As i said, it took about 2 weeks for it to work consistently for us. But it did work!
    I know what it's like when your poor bub is so so tired but won't sleep- it's not something you just want to 'put up with' for both your sakes.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub