+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Um all seems a bit much for me I'm more of a "have a cuppa with the other mum and let the kids sort it out as long as no bones gets broken" kind of person.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (02-11-2012),MrsBeee  (02-11-2012),peanutmonkey  (02-11-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Other kids and sharing rule at MY house

Depends on the situation. Kids can get possesive of their stuff, so if my DS was following around our guest wanting to play with everything they touched, I wouldn't expect the guest to share everything. I would probably go with distraction at the age he is now, but as he gets older I would be more likely to say 'you can play with this all the time, jimmy doesn't have one of these at his house, so can he play with yours now?' And if DS continued to not share I'd put it away. On the other hand, if the guest was snatching from my kid or really hogging something I would have no issues with asking them to share, or confiscating the toy even if their parent wasn't saying anything.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I would insist on sharing but I wouldn't be too harsh in wording ("abide by the sharing rules or the toy gets taken away!") I would just say something cheery like "yes DS you can have a turn after friend has a turn, just a couple more minutes friend then it's DS's turn!". There's ways to do things without causing offence IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Um all seems a bit much for me I'm more of a "have a cuppa with the other mum and let the kids sort it out as long as no bones gets broken" kind of person.
    Ditto. Generally when one gets all dibber dobby I tell them to sort it out among themselves (over 5 that is). It's never been a drama. The politics of the sharing/enforcing/rules is all too much for me, too.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Other kids and sharing rule at MY house

true that. But sometimes they start squawking at each other so loudly it interupts the flow of gossip.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (02-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by broomdyke View Post
    What about if you went to someone's house and they didn't make their kid share their toys so you bring your own and the mother allows her child to play and expects share with the toys you bring?
    I dont bring our toys to peoples houses. But if we go to someones house and they dont want to share and the mum doesnt care, I tell them its their house and their mummy doesnt make them share so you can have it type thing. Im jsut saying this is our house and we have this rule for all children that come over. Im just wondering if im in my right to do something....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course! Your house, your rules - if people don't like it it's their ish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Me too.
    Though in the OP's situation the little darlings mother told him he doesn't have to share. That wouldn't fly in my house.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (02-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't think I'd invite them over TBH if that's the case OP. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth if nobody is going to enjoy themselves.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (02-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Other kids and sharing rule at MY house

At DS 2nd birthday my sister said to put away all DS really loved toys when other kids come over and just put out the every day toys he's not so attached to - that way if other kids play with his things and don't share he won't be as cranky!
    And it really worked - I put his beloved motorbikes and buzz and woody dolls away and luckily the 5 one and two year olds played really well together with all his stuff
    If he did have a friend that wouldn't share I'd probably let them work it out ( as other pp,s said) it's hard to reason with a toddler at the best of times, if the child was really bad I'd reconsider having them back!