+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Other kids and sharing rule at MY house

I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on this

If someone elses child comes and plays at your house and doesnt want to share your childs toys with your child, do you have the right to enforce the house rule of sharing toys or they dont get to play?
    If the other kids mother doesnt tell them to share or gives up and tells them "fine dont share" and ignores it, do you think in your own house you are allowed to say something to them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would remove the toy from the other child and put it out of reach and explain nicely "we have a sharing rule here and if you don't share, then the toy gets taken into time out".

If the child chucks a tanty...it's up to their parent to deal with it lol

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yes my house my rules don't like them then leave simple

My family and friends are happy for their kids to follow my rules which are nothing out of the ordinary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I have a feeling that is what will happen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    This might be unpopular but sometimes children can get a bit anxious being at someone else's house, I wouldn't expect them to share anything they brought along with them, it could be a comfort measure. If I went to a friend's house and they told me they had a sharing rule and I had to share my handbag and everything in it I'd be walking out that door!

ETA: sorry, misread - you meant the toys that belong in your house. If my child wanted to play with it and the other was being a pain, yeah I'd take the toy causing the drama away. If my child wasn't fussed I'd distract him with something else, that's what I normally do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    IM not talking about HIS toys. Im talking about our toys. if he brings something with him I will tell my kids that its his and he doesnt have to share HIS toys but I tell my kids they have to share theirs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    This might be unpopular but sometimes children can get a bit anxious being at someone else's house, I wouldn't expect them to share anything they brought along with them, it could be a comfort measure. If I went to a friend's house and they told me they had a sharing rule and I had to share my handbag and everything in it I'd be walking out that door!

but the OP said it was their toys...not the visitors.

No, i would not expect a visiting child to share their special toy...but my own stuff in my own house...my rules apply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I misread but yes dependent on age. If under 5 I'd use distraction.. It's never been a deal for my DS or his friends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I dunno. I only deal with toddlers so far and agree with Benji re: distraction at that age. I probably wouldn't force sharing i.e. take it off one and give to the other and vice versa, but if the toy were creating real conflict would distract and remove (under 5s!).

Thanks
    Reviews

What about if you went to someone's house and they didn't make their kid share their toys so you bring your own and the mother allows her child to play and expects share with the toys you bring?