+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have been mortified as well and most likely wouldn't say anything either. What a silly thing for that lady to do, why intently try and give germs.

Its not the same but I actually not keen when my son's day care teacher says she asks for kisses from my 2 year old and she says this to me a few times. I did ask him where and he pointed to the lips! she should make it the cheek if she wants a kiss, as my husband and I do or any any relatives don't kiss the kids on the lips. But like you I didn't say anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Personally I'd talk to the "baby". I would have walked over and said "<name of baby> we don't suck on people's fingers and moved the baby away from her fingers. That way it kind of lets the worker know you don't want your baby sucking on their fingers without being confrontational or rude.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Germier than kid's toys at a playgroup? I doubt it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    Actually FearlessLeader has a good point. Reality is the worker has probably touched all the toys your baby has sucked on and therefore transferred any germs she had on her fingers to the toys that your baby sucked on anyway.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

Pawzette  (03-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    Actually FearlessLeader has a good point. Reality is the worker has probably touched all the toys your baby has sucked on and therefore transferred any germs she had on her fingers to the toys that your baby sucked on anyway.
    I agree with this and Fearless Leader. Babies on floors, touching kids toys, anything and everything anywhere has all sorts of stuff on it that other people have touched, sucked, snotted on or wiped any sort of grime on.

But if it does make you feel uncomfortable I like pps suggestion of talking to the baby and then explaining to the worker that you are trying to break the habit.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think you're going to have to say something to her. Don't wait until it happens again, just say "We're trying to discourage finger chewing at the moment because you never know where someone's hands have been. We'd really appreciate it if you'd actively help us to discourage it to. I know that YOU have clean hands but a lot of the people that handle her don't so we're trying to prevent it from happening at all".
    Give her a specific teething toy for your bub so that she has something to substitute with.

And then stick to it. Discourage it yourself. Because it's not really fair to your bub to let her chew on your fingers and then have other people prevent her from doing the same thing. She's only little and she won't understand that she's only allowed to chew on your fingers. She'll just understand that her gums are bothering her, or that she's looking for oral stimulation and that the relief she wants is being given by some people and denied by others.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (08-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Awkward Situation where I whimped out :-(

My DS is 4 months and he is always doing this!! I find people are generally pretty good and just gently pull away when he pulls their fingers towards his wide open mouth, but the other night we were out for dinner and some people came out of the pokie room smelling like smoke and were going to let him suck on their hands! I'm far from a germophobe, he is always putting everything in his mouth anyway, but this particular instance was not ok with me! I just gently pushed his arm away from his mouth so he couldn't bring the yukky hand to his mouth and didn't make a big deal about it and it wasn't awkward or anything... Granted I was holding him at the time so it may be a little bit harder if you are not holding her. I agree with PP that she is probably already being exposed to germs anyway by going to playgroup, and I would say that the worker probably has to adhere to hygiene rules anyway, like washing hands regularly and after changing nappies etc.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    yeah .. I'd have issues with it .. and would probably do what others have suggested and just hint that its not cool to suck on other people's fingers ..

Playgroups are germy .. its one of those settings where things do get shared - but I think that is a really personal thing to do ... I think its a bit weird that she let it happen tbh - I would never let any child chew/ suck on my fingers .. I think its a bit icky

cant stand the whole kissing on the lips thing either *shudder* I only kiss my husband on the lips .. everyone else is offered a cheek ... a relative used to grab me by the cheeks and make me kiss his lips - and it always made me really uncomfortable .. even as a young kid

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Veve For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (08-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    yuck! even if it were my own mother/sisters finger it wouldn't be ok. only immediate family ie me and dad.
    i remember when a daycare lady told me she was going to pop a finger into my 8mth old dd's mouth to see if she could feel any teeth, not happy but like you i didn't say anything

Thanks
    Reviews
    this post just reminded me of when our first dd was about 1. it was the first family xmas party and we were all having photos done. she was being held by my dh's step dad who was schnickered and kept licking her face! can you believe that!! everyone was laughing, i didn't know what to do or say so said nothing as did dh. still peeved about it to this day........

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Awkward Situation where I whimped out :-(

The thing is though germs wash off toys much easier than fingers. So even with germs on us there is likely to be more germs on someone's fingers. That person may have ineffective hand washing techniques (many people do) or have germs under her nails, might smoke or have eaten something that could affect bub. Also I don't believe in letting babies suck/chew etc on anyone's hands but their own as thy will learn that it is soothing and may bite others as they get bigger ( and hurt them). A toy is more appropriate.
    To the PP that said about the child care worker checking for teeth- I have done the same and also checked older children's teeth after falls to ensure no tooth injuries and also when bubs have pick up a leaf or something from outside and put it in their mouth, however I ALWAYS put a clean glove on first.
    Another PP said about her child care worker asking for kisses. When I ran a centre it was against policy for child care workers to kiss children for wo reasons 1. Culturally inappropriate and 2.to minimize the spread of infection. If a child care worker kisses 5 babies a day then they could plead a viral illness.
    Childcare workers should be helping to minimize the spread of infections and illness. I would defiantly say something.