+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Awkward Situation where I whimped out :-(

We go to a regular devised play activity session which has the session workers oversee the children at the various play activities etc. Recently my baby who is 4 mths old was in the 'baby/infant' area and overseen by a 'worker' with me sitting right there. My baby is at that age where she tries to gnaw on her fingers and quite often dh and my knuckles if she can.

The worker was extremely friendly, personable and devoted to ensuring my baby had attention and lot's of great stimuli etc, however my baby decided to grab a hold of the worker's fingers/hand (as babies do) and I thought, I hope my LO doesn't try and put the workers fingers in her mouth. Well, the next thing I see my baby succeeds and has the workers finger in her mouth. Thinking that the worker would take her finger out of her mouth, I just sat there, but she didn't and in fact, she was actively encouraging it and offering my baby her finger! The worse thing is, I didn't say anything. I was too gob-smacked and because this worker was (up until this point) nothing short of wonderful in terms of interacting with my baby, I didn't know 'how' or 'what' to say to her. I guess I felt absolutely torn in that, I so desperately wanted her to take her finger(s) out of my baby's mouth, but I didn't want to come across as being too precious/rude if I said something?

I am worried that this is going to happen again when we see this worker next time, so if anyone can give me some *helpful* advice as to how they would approach this situation, that would be great.

Please note: If anyone ever hurt my child/ren I would act accordingly, but in this situation I whimped out because the worker wasn't being malicious, un kind or anything untoward in that sense, quite the contrary, which is why I felt at pains to say what I was saying on the inside.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Awkward Situation where I whimped out :-(

I found that people loved putting their fingers in my babies mouths. Made me so cross every time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs.. Id feel odd too as your unsure if she smokes etc. Maybe next time you could just say something like ' my LO always tries to put peoples fingers in her/his mouth and I dont like it as you dont know what germs etc they have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I probably would have whimped out too. Maybe next time bub draws the persons hand in close you could talk to your baby rather than directly at the person and say "oh no bubba, don't chew on the lady's fingers" and if you're right there also try and reach out and have your DD let go of the person's fingers. Hopefully they'd get the message?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (02-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If it were me i probably would have just said, to the baby 'Oh don't chew on people's fingers bub' and hope that that would be enough to stop the situation without having to directly say 'Hey, get your fingers out of my babies mouth'. I'd feel more comfortable approaching it that way but the worry is that then the worker may say 'Oh i don't mind' and not stop, but you could always counter with 'Thanks but i'd rather she didn't, we are trying to teach her to stop biting fingers'

Good luck. I'm not great in these type of situations either.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (02-11-2012),~ElectricPink~  (03-11-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Awkward Situation where I whimped out :-(

Do you let her gnaw her own/your fingers? Oral exploration is actually really really important for babies of that age. So it's not a good idea to stop her every time she does it.
    Sorry, but I would say if you're that worried about germs don't take your baby to playgroup. Even if she didn't put the carer's fingers in her mouth, she's going to put toys in her mouth that a billion other babies have sucked on.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (03-11-2012),Pawzette  (03-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Do you let her gnaw her own/your fingers? Oral exploration is actually really really important for babies of that age. So it's not a good idea to stop her every time she does it.
    Sorry, but I would say if you're that worried about germs don't take your baby to playgroup. Even if she didn't put the carer's fingers in her mouth, she's going to put toys in her mouth that a billion other babies have sucked on.

I'm far from a germaphobe but having a young baby put someone else's fingertips directly into their mouth is not a good idea. Fingertips are so germy. Eew.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post

Yes, she is 4 months old so she is never discouraged from sucking/gnawing on her own fingers. My DH and I have at times let her gnaw on our knuckles etc, as you're right, it is a very important part of oral exploration etc.
    I am not over-the-top precious about germs, this baby has 3 siblings under the age of 7, so she is constantly being exposed to germs, dribble, lurgies etc from them. If I were unreasonably precious about the germ factor, then yes, for sure I would wrap her in a bubble and keep her away from playgroups etc.

But I don't like the thought of her sucking anyone elses fingers/knuckles etc other than hers or ours.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 02-11-2012 at 13:13. Reason: typo

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (10-12-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Awkward Situation where I whimped out :-(

Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I'm far from a germaphobe but having a young baby put someone else's fingertips directly into their mouth is not a good idea. Fingertips are so germy. Eew.
    Germier than kid's toys at a playgroup? I doubt it.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Atlantic Puffin  (03-11-2012),Pawzette  (03-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would have used MothersMilk's suggested approach.

I don't blame you for being uncomfortable with it.