+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Goodluck as another mum with a May 08 baby and the principal saying that he'd probably hold him back a year before going, i decided i'd prefer him to go next year. Mainly because his brother and him are pretty close in age 2.5 years, so if i held him back and his brother was in grade 3 when he started prep i think socially it would be harder as he's older. Whereas having an older brother in grade two and him starting prep, they'd be at primary school together longer aswell as high school which for me was a consideration too. The principal said down the track it's harder being the younger kid at school, but i'm not bothered, i think it's important for him to go next year as i don't want him to have to feel like he's at a disadvantage by not going. He's not gone to daycare or anything so haven't had any formal recomendations, but i personally think he'll be fine. I think it's up to you and how you feel your son will go, it's pretty full on the prep year but what they learn is incredible. Goodluck, just go with what you think, if you wanna hold him back i would. With my oldest i was glad he was a Nov baby, i really think if he was 4 starting prep there'd be no way i'd have sent him, he was a little bit older than some kids and he hated daycare, but the school environment is much more suited to him and he's really come in leaps and bounds since prep last year. It's a hard decision though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    Hi Oweava,

I'm an infants teacher and in my experience its much better to hold boys back. You will give him a huge advantage by letting him have that extra year at home. I'm in NSW and the expectations for children in their first year of school these days is huge. That extra year at home will allow him to mature socially and emotionally and this is massively important. An extra day or two at preschool next year would be very beneficial. If you have any questions or concerns please ask!
    My friend and I were just talking about this the other day. She's in Sydney, her son is born mid June. She said she's heard it's quite common for most kids to do delayed entry to Prep there. Is that true from what you've seen? She's also worried she should keep her son back, because if the majority do, and particularly as he's born late for the cut-off, he'll be so much younger than his classmates.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Delaying prep in QLD?

Same situation here op.

Ds is 5 may 15th next year. So eligible for school. Also a big boy (prob one of the tallest in the year level).

We had the same worries for years but have decided to send him with the possibility of removing him if he doesn't settle and sending him again the following year.

Reasons we chose to send him are because 1. He is big. 2. He is extremely intelligent and where advised he will too his class already and keeping him back will only make him bored with school when he finally went. 3. He needs the stimulation already.

The only concern I have is whether he is ready emotionally. He is shy and more of an observer then anything.

Anyway since prep orientation he has gained such a sense of confidence and really jumped out of his shell and is super excited about going.

Have to go will pop back to continue reply. Kids lol

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews

Ive spent months umming and ahhing over this for my DD who is due to start prep in 2014. She is a June baby and has got what I thought quite a short attention span - therefore I was concerned if she was ready to sit and learn with the new curriculum.

I was going to delay entry into kinder by 1 year, go into kinder in 2014 And then go into prep in 2015. That's because I feel that kindy is such an important stepping stone into school that I didn't want her to miss out on such play based interactions.

Well, I visited a prep class, spoke with the principle and preppie teacher and decided strongly against delaying her into prep. In fact the principle advised
    Me she would not be comfortable in signing off the delayed entry form because she exhibited strong learning behaviours and had no issues sitting on her own for the whole time we were there (typical, doesn't do that at home lol)

The prep teacher thought she was already in kinder and I was repeating hence the delay - when she realised I was planning to delay it by 2 years she nearly fell off her chair and said please don't do that to her as she will be climbing the walls in desperation.

So while she's younger, I feel more comfortable as she's a girl, she behaved differently when there and she's intelligent and socially ready. Still - I do worry about the longer term implications.

I suppose I will always question the decision until the end of the 13 years! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews

BabushkaMum, I have been going through the very same thing! My ds is supposed to start prep in 2014 (late June baby) and I was convinced he wasn't going to be ready. Today I went to an accredited kindy service that also has long care, and talked to the director about the program and everything and now I am sure that with the right help and guidance, my ds will be right to start prep with his kindy-mates in 2014 and that he doesn't need to be delayed. I can always reassess his suitability in mid 2013 and delay him if necessary, after all. Do what you think is right

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marepoppin For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma  (08-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    My friend and I were just talking about this the other day. She's in Sydney, her son is born mid June. She said she's heard it's quite common for most kids to do delayed entry to Prep there. Is that true from what you've seen? She's also worried she should keep her son back, because if the majority do, and particularly as he's born late for the cut-off, he'll be so much younger than his classmates.
    Do you mean starting school? In NSW kindergarten is the first formal year of school. A mid June boy I would usually recommend holding back the extra year from school and continuing to attend pre school. Of course it depends entirely on the child but its generally better to keep them back that extra year. When I started teaching 10 years ago it was quite common to start them no matter how young they were provided their birthday was before July 31 (so starting school at 4 and a half). Now the opposite is true and most parents like to give their child that extra time before beginning formal schooling. Does that answer your question?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP I have a daughter who is also a May birthday. When to start school was something I struggled with from the time she was born because I just feel that 4.5 is too young. Also I am originally from Melbourne where they have had prep forever, and I know when I started school the cutoff was 30th June same as it is here, but it has now been changed to the end of April, so if we lived in melb my Dd wouldn't have made the cutoff anyway. I'm digressing, but I do think that if a state government has actually made the decision to move the age cutoff after so many years experience, then clearly it suggests that the old cutoff doesn't work!.

Anyway we opted to do 2 years of kindy because I wasn't keen on the idea of repeating prep 'if required'. I found the school to be extremely supportive, and every teacher I spoke to there said great idea, in general the older they are the better (obviously there will be exceptions and many kids who will cope just fine at the younger end of the scale, but all the research I read said that you can't harm a kid by holding them back). The kindy on the other hand thought I was insane, they kept telling me she was ready for school and knew her letters etc, and I had to keep saying to them it's not academically I'm worried about, it's physically and socially!. I noticed that when kids quotes etc were up on the wall there was nothing from dd and when I queried it the teachers said hmm you're right - she has plenty to say if you talk to her one on one but she doesn't like raising her hand and didn't have the confidence to talk in front of the class. There was also about 10 or 11 months age gap between her and fully half the class, as most of them turned 5 in July or August that year when she was 4 in may. At that age that's a huge gap and socially I just didn't think she was at the same level.

Six weeks into her second year of kindy both her teachers ( same ones from the year before) said to me, you know, keeping her back is the best thing you could have done for her, she is a different child. She had so much more confidence in herself being that bit older and it has made a massive difference. NB she was getting bored towards the end of last year, which I had expected, but it was worth the trade off in her increased social skills!.

Prep is FULL ON! But dd has thrived. She loves it, is involved in every activity, has a go at things and has loads of friends. She is jumping up and down wanting to go into year one now lol. I really think that if we had started her last year she would have been behind socially which would have affected her learning and she wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much.

Sorry for the essay, but my gut feeling was always that dd would benefit from waiting a year, despite what others said, and for us I can hand on heart say that it is the best thing we could ever have done for her. Go with your gut and make the decision you feel to be right for your son (I kept going around and around in circles and then would come back to "what's to be gained from sending her" and I couldn't come up with anything. Oh and I also decided that I would prefer her to be one of the oldest in high school and leading the others astray, rather than being led ).

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    Do you mean starting school? In NSW kindergarten is the first formal year of school. A mid June boy I would usually recommend holding back the extra year from school and continuing to attend pre school. Of course it depends entirely on the child but its generally better to keep them back that extra year. When I started teaching 10 years ago it was quite common to start them no matter how young they were provided their birthday was before July 31 (so starting school at 4 and a half). Now the opposite is true and most parents like to give their child that extra time before beginning formal schooling. Does that answer your question?
    Yep thanks! And Yep we were talking about the equivalent of prep in qld. This friend went to school with me here in qld so all our school discussions about our kids are in qld language! Will pass the advice on to her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Old thread but wktz is your daughter the eldest in the class and how has that gone with her peers? Has she been teased about her delayed entry?. Amazing how different each state is - was speaking with a NSW friend this morning who said an April to July 31st cutoff baby would almost certainly be kept at home another year and Jan- March would be a close call.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi peppapig I just wrote a big reply and lost it all grrrrr.

Dd is not actually the eldest in her class as there are a couple of kids who repeated prep and are older (as an aside both of those parents say it was the worst thing they could have done because it really damaged their child's self esteem when their friends went up and they didn't). Even if those kids weren't there though dd turned 7 in may and it was only a few weeks before the July / August birthdays started so its not a massive gap and really not a big deal. There are also some kids in her class who turned 6 in may or June though so there's a huge range.

The age thing hasn't been an issue and no one has ever mentioned it. I'm not sure whether they will down the track or not, but there's certainly tons of them all turning 7 around the same time so she doesn't stand out.

What I have noticed though is that the self confidence and assertiveness that dd developed in her second year of kinder has stayed with her. We are already seeing b!tchy behaviour and kids trying to manipulate others (ironically its a lot of the younger ones that appear to be little bullies) and none of them will try it on with dd because she just won't stand for it. They seem to know that they have no power over her. Dd told one girl that she was going to end up with no friends if she kept treating people that way lol.

Of course I know some of this is personality and a lot of younger kids are very confident and assertive, but I can't stress how much dd was NOT like this in her first year of kindy. For her, delaying school has been nothing but a blessing and I know without a doubt that its made my life a heck of a lot easier over the last 18 months.

Dd2 is another story though - she is exhibiting a lot of the same introverted and anxious behaviours that dd1 did at this age, but being a sept birthday keeping her back is not really an option. I'm just hoping that she matures and developes some confidence at around 5 as well!