+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Delaying prep in QLD?

Hi there...I'm just new to these forums....but heaps of great information out there.

Basically I'm after opinions from other parents in my situation, or from childcare workers, teachers, etc...

My son was born at the end of May so technically he's eligible to start prep next year...as a 4.5 yo. I've been going back and forth on whether or not to send him next year, or wait until 2014 when he will be 5.5. My fear is that being so young, he may struggle and that may set the course for his 13 years in school.

Physically he is ready to go, and quite large for his size. He plays well with other kids and enjoys going to daycare. My concerns are that being so young, he might not be quite mature enough to handle school 5 days a week. He is quite active and struggles to sit still for long and can be quite shy around other adults. From what I have observed in daycare, he is not one of the kids eager to put his hands up to answer questions. I guess I feel like compared to the other kids in his group he is not quite as socially mature yet. He only goes one day a week, and if we decide to let him go another year will increase his days.

I have spoken to his school and they say it is our choice to whether we send him this coming year or wait until the year after. We've been asked to come in to an orientation so they can get to know him a bit and access if he is ready. I will also be speaking to his caters at daycare to see what they think before we make any decisions.

Still in my gut I feel that for my son, sending him to school at 4.5 is just too early. Is there anyone out there that waited to send their child off that can offer me their experience? I have been told my several people that I can send him and if he struggles he can repeat. I'm not too keen on that idea, I would hate for him to make friends and see them go ahead. I would much rather him be at the older end of his class and thrive, instead of just cope.

Thanks in advance for anyone experiences, opinions, etc!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

We're delaying as Ds 2 is the last week of June, hes going 2014.

My advice is to approach the school that youre planning on as some schools wont let you delay and when you enrol in 2014 they'll put ur child in the Grade they technically are meant to be in, Grade 1. Meaning they'll miss Prep altogether.

Luckily our school is on board with my sons delaying of Prep. Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mahjong For This Useful Post:

Oweava  (02-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Oh and repeating Preschool/kindy is better as it can be a huge mission to repeat Prep, once they repeat one yr theres no option further down in their schooling.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mahjong For This Useful Post:

Oweava  (02-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow that was fast...thank you! I have talked to the school and they are happy with allowing students to delay prep. I specifically asked if they would be out immediately into year 1, as I had heard about that happening but they ensured me that he would be put in prep...so no worries with that.

How did you come to the decision to delay your little one? Just felt that he was too young or not ready?

Thank you so much!

Thanks
    Reviews

Hes too little lol! He has a slight speech delay which wouldnt help him with grammer etc. socially hes great but he would stuggle with the curriculum now theyve changed it, basically they are doing work in Prep that my son did in Grade 1 when he started!! I spoke to a few teachers and the Deputy at the school who have agreed hes too little and being a boy they mature slower than girls at this age.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mahjong For This Useful Post:

Oweava  (02-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: Delaying prep in QLD?

I would suggest having a chat to a prep teacher, I spoke to a few (my son is a mid may 08 baby) and have made the decision to send him next year.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Oweava  (02-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Hi Oweava,

I'm an infants teacher and in my experience its much better to hold boys back. You will give him a huge advantage by letting him have that extra year at home. I'm in NSW and the expectations for children in their first year of school these days is huge. That extra year at home will allow him to mature socially and emotionally and this is massively important. An extra day or two at preschool next year would be very beneficial. If you have any questions or concerns please ask!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

Oweava  (02-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all! There is an orientation at his school next week so I will have a chat with the teachers then before we make any decisions. From your replies and everything else I've read I think my gut instinct is correct to wait another year is best for him. His sister is 2 years younger, and born in June so we would wait another year for her as well. Just seems like having that extra year to develop socially and emotionally would set them up better for the 13 years. Thanks everyone for your advice, it makes me feel soooo much better!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I held my DS back a year. His birthday is in mid June so he was due to start this year but we kept him back a year. Physically he was ready but he had/has a severe speech delay. If I had talked to him this time last year about school he wouldn't have had a clue what I was on about and I would not have got any reaction. I'm in Qld too. We contacted the school last year and advised them of our plans and they had a record. We also got recommendations from his CC director in case it was needed. He is more than ready now, in fact he was probably ready about mid way through this year.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Oweava  (02-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Bec! My son also had a speech delay...didn't really start talking until after he was 3. Even now I can definitely notice the difference between his speech and the others in his group, but given another year I reckon he'll be right.