+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Short Cervix - on strict bed rest.

Hi Guys,

I have currently been put on strict bed rest in hospital for a short cervix and would love to hear from anyone with similar experiences (good or bad)....here's my story.

At my 19 week morphology scan, I was diagnosed with a short cervix measuring on average 25mm. One of babies kidneys was also on the large side.

My Obs referred me for another scan at 23 weeks. The good news was that babies kidneys were now both of a normal size, however my cervix had shortened further.

My cervix seemed to be changing lengths during the scan ranging from 12mm to 18mm - I have no labour symptoms (I do get sparodic Braxton Hicks), no funnelling or dilation.

My Obs admitted me to hospital immediately stating that I am at a high risk of preterm labour. I am on strict bed rest, basically allowed to get up to go to the bathroom and shower once a day.

I have been prescribed 100mg Progesterone pessaries twice a day, I am also on 40mg Clexane as I have minimal movement. My Obs mentioned a stitch, however he feels that due to the Cervical length it would be too risky to place and I would be at risk of my membranes rupturing.

I am currently 23w 4d and am scheduled to have weekly scans to assess things.

Other info....this baby was conceived through IVF (both my Fallopian tubes are blocked). I have also had 2 previous Lletz procedures.

Whilst I am quite positive about the long term outcome, I do realise that if the baby comes now it won't survive. Every week is a bonus and whilst bed rest is boring I do hope I am here for the long haul.

I would love to hear anyone's stories...what were you prescribed, can cervical length increase, does bed rest work, what is the average delivery dates, when should I get nervous etc etc......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Not from personal experience but from work experience (NICU nursing) 23 week Bubs can be kept alive- of course every week gestation lowers the risks however your bub is now viable if born in a tertiary hospital with a NICU. There are some great prem stories on here and other sites. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much Meags82, good news is that I am at North Shore private in Sydney...if bubs comes early I will go next door to RNS which I hear has a great NICU.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I ask what state you are in?

i was admitted at 22 weeks with my first son at 3.5cm dilated, I had an emergency stitch 36 hrs later but unfortunately my waters broke a few hours later and it had to come out. On strict bedrest I made it to 26 weeks until I developed an infection and had to be induced.

I would imagine that seeing as you have had a short cervix for a few weeks a stitch would be too risky. Stick to your bedrest, only move when you have to. There are many wonderful stories of ladies carrying to a good gestation in your situation, many I have met through the Miracle Babies Foundation (google)

if you have any questions feel free to ask me (i am currently in hospital with my second pregnancy to have a preventative stitch placed)

keeping everything for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mumwannabe, to be honest I am feeling nervous. I am trying to be very positive I just want things to remain static from now on.

I will def look up the miracle babies foundation - thanks for the info.

I hope you had a positive outcome with your first pregnancy. Congratulations on the second, good luck with the stitch...I would love to hear how that goes for future reference.

Some quick questions for you...

Can you tell if you are dilated from an internal ultrasound or is an internal examination required ? No one has mentioned I am dilated but wondering if they would be able to tell from an ultrasound?

My Obs mentioned he was concerned with the fluctuation of measurements during the 23 week scan. Saying something like he would be concerned if it could really change that quickly under any pressure. I didn't quiz him at the the time but would love to understand more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Although I did have a prem baby he has done amazingly and is now almost 3 with no signs of having been born so early!!

an internal ultrasound will tell you if you cervix has shortened and thinned out but as far as I know you need an internal exam to check once you have thinned and start dilating.
    In my novice opinion I would say during your scan just having the internal probe may have caused your cervix to react and shorten (possibly silently contract). If your body is reacting that much to just the probe then any other pressure ie standing, coughing etc is possibly going to make you dilate quickly.

I fully understand how nervous you are it's an incredibly stressful time not knowing what or when anything is going to happen. At the moment you need to take it one hour and one day at a time. :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Short Cervix - on strict bed rest.

I'm guessing that the 2 lletz proceedures are why you've got a shortened cervix. I've only had one lletz, but was told that it often means you won't go full term.

You're obviously in the best hands though!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII, please excuse any errors!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I found out I had a shortened cervix at my 24 week scan ( had extra scans due to large fibroids) had steroid injections, pressaries and weekly internal scans, was put on mild bed rest , by 32 weeks it had seemed to have stayed the same and had a scheduled c section at 38+5!
    It is scary but stay positive and take it a week at a time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any updates? Hope all is well