+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default takeout salad places?

Hi All,

One of the foods I miss most whilst being pregnant are those salad takeout joints where you can create your own or have a pre-prepared one. Apart from dressings that have mayo/raw egg in them, do you think it would be safe to order from these places if you are there right when they open so hopefully the food is still fresh? They are literally my favouritest things to eat ever and I would LOVE to find a way to still frequent them.

Also, when you are at a food court, what foods do you order that are pg safe?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I a bit funny with every thing, it all sits

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd say no, but that's just me. Especially getting there first thing - I would think there is more of a chance that it was yesterday's being put out, I would wait until it was really busy and they had replaced the first lot. I leave a wide berth between me and the reconstituted chicken at the best of times!

When I was pg and out for lunch - I would order something that needed to be prepared especially (like noodles or asian soups) or if from a bainmarie, where there was high turnover.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Personally, I'd avoid them. You can't guarantee the freshness of the food or whether it's been prepared hygienically.

If you need your salad fix, safest to make your own at home.

I know it's not the same, but I think pregnancy is just a short term in your life and that it's worth it to be safe rather than sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I definately wouldn't eat from those take out salad bars. I actually had an appointment with my middy yesterday where we talked about listeria risk and foods to avoid. She thinks some of the recommendations have gone a little too far (like no soft cheeses, when in Aus soft cheeses have been pasturised) and she mentioned salad bars/ subway and the like are some of the worst places for risk of listeria etc - usually because you can't guarentee the salad vegetables have been washed thoroughly or that they haven't been in contact with cold meat.

Thanks
    Reviews

I found it really hard to get lunch in the city - in the end I ate a lot of toasted cheese and tomato sandwiches!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hijack the thread but this reminded me of a question I've been wanting to ask. I know pre-prepared salads are out, but does that also include those bags of mixed lettuce leaves etc that you get from Coles? We usually use them as the basis for our salads and then add other veges but is that still ok?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread but this reminded me of a question I've been wanting to ask. I know pre-prepared salads are out, but does that also include those bags of mixed lettuce leaves etc that you get from Coles? We usually use them as the basis for our salads and then add other veges but is that still ok?
    I think it would be ok if you wash it before you use it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Off topic again, but I've always wondered whether a wash really sorts potential germs out anyway. Surely a rinse under a cold tap isn't going to remove anything particularly nasty?