+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Restless grumpy sleeper

My little man is 3 weeks old. I am very fortunate in that he has settled into a 3-4 hourly feeding routine. However, the last few nights he has started becoming so restless while sleeping that my DH and I are running on three days with almost NO SLEEP!!!

He'll struggle in his wrap, grunt, kick, snort and just generally carry on for hours. When I look in his bassinet, he's actually asleep. I figure if he were in distress he would wake and cry???

The home nurse tried to tell me he was unsettled as I was overfeeding him! I dont agree since he's exclusively breastfed 3-4 hourly.

Did anyone else have this problem? During the day he's as quiet as a mouse of course. It's only from about 10pm onwards.

Is it too early to shift him to his own room? I'm starting to think this may be the only solution to actually get some rest myself if he keeps this up. I feel guilty since he's so small...but mummy needs some sleep ....zzzzzzzzzz!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD grunted all night in her bassinet too and I used to pick her up to feed her only to find that she was asleep! We moved her into her own room at two months and I think she grew out of it shortly after. Her Paed said the grunting was normal

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MinnieMouse81 For This Useful Post:

chickpea83  (02-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD does that too with her eyes closed so we know she's still sleeping. I find that if I change her sleeping position to the other side and gently pat her, she falls back asleep. I figure she might want to sleep on the other side but can't move on her own so that might be a reason why she's grunting and struggling.. Adults can move around freely in our sleep but babies can't.. Just my opinion...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AshleeClaire07 For This Useful Post:

MinnieMouse81  (02-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

My DS has always been a noisy sleeper, even in the hospital! After about 4 weeks i got used to his noises and it became easier to sleep. Perhaps its because in the early days i would get up to check on him with every noise. Now i just keep sleeping unless he makes a real cry (he has several different cries).

I think a lot of the noise DS makes is from wind/gas/pooping and trying to move position. The noise has reduced in the last couple of weeks, i'd say from 8 weeks onwards.

I moved him out of a swaddle and into a sleeping bag a couple of weeks ago and he is a much quieter sleeper now. He also has much more control over his arms, legs and head - so its easier for him to move around.

There was light at the end of the tunnel for me, it was just a waiting game. Hopefully your bub will settle down too..... Mummy does really need sleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and we had white noise playing in our room too. It was supposed to settle DD but I think if helped us by drowning out the grunting a bit

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is no reason you have to have him in your room. While it is most common for new parents to have them in their room some people also put them straight into their own room.

my little boy is 10 days old and feeding every two hours most nights so I need whatever sleep I can get between feeds and having him in my room stops that as I wake up to every little noise he makes.

so we have moved his cradle to the lounge room which is right outside my room. That way I can't hear every little noise but heis still close enough for me to hear him and feel comfortable.

hope you get some sleep soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Restless grumpy sleeper

I have put both my kids in there own room, in the cot, from birth because the noises in hospital use to worry me and the lack of sleep was torture. I think the noises arw normal.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh thank you all so much for your tips and advice. I know newborns are supposed to be noisy but it's just nice to be reassured

Thank you AshleeClaire for your comment re:changing position. I have used that one this morning - tilted his head to the side and gave him a little pat and it seemed to calm him down for a while.

Thanks
    Reviews

My LO did that too...took 1 arm out of the swaddle and the grunting stopped. Figured he must have been trying to free his arm.