+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Travel tips - 3 weeks in europe

Oh and we stayed in Montmartre in Paris - AMAZING. I loved it. There are some really delicious food stalls and bakeries in that area, it's great.

I also recommend going down into the catacombs if you're into that sort of thing.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I'd unlock your phone, turn off data roaming and buy a prepaid 3 SIM card as the 3 network covers most of Europe and so you only need the one. That's what I did!

I lived on fresh fruit and street food from roadside markets, and M&S sandwiches in London!

Get a TSA travel lock for your bag- that way, it won't get cut off if they search your bag going through customs.

Buy a universal adaptor to charge your camera, phone etc.

Prebook the Eiffel Tower climb if you plan on doing it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Travel tips - 3 weeks in europe

Money wise we got 2 travel visa cards. One was converted to euros and the other was in pounds. This way if you wanted to get money out or pay by card you didn't get the conversion fees on your cards. We also pre paid or paid a deposit for all our accommodation before we left. Like others have said buy lunches from markets or supermarkets. We also booked a lot of accommodation which had breakfast included.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    If you go to the Tower of London then do one of the tours with a yeoman of the guard. They give great info, but also it's lots of fun and really entertaining.
    We went to London last year and did everything we could possibly cram into that week, Tower of London was an 'only if we could fit it in' sort of thing, anyway ended up being my most favourite place, loved it! If you like a bit of history I'd definitely go see it! (Oh and have the best photos from there!)

We've been living o/s for the last year and Christmas markets are great but the one everyone raves about is the winter wonders market in Brussels. Ppl go there just to go to the market. (Runs from Nov-Jan)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    This time of year it will probably be cold, but not too bad. It's a different kind of cold anyway.

I second being wary of pick pockets. Try not to look like a tourist or a rich b@stard and you're less likely to be targeted

Make sure you have some cash, but check with your bank. I found it cheaper to just use my regular debit card than anything else.

The time of year you're going you shouldn't have too many issues with queue.

My big advice is COMFY SHOES, lots of warm socks, A few phrases in different languages. Scan of your passport and other documents as an attachment in a hotmail or gmail account in case your passport etc gets stolen.

And don't be too rigid with your plans. Ohhh and buy your souveniers in paris down beneath the sacre ceour, Not at any of the actual tourist attractions

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all the posts so apologise if anything is duplicated.

Take clothes that you can layer and mix and match. Take two undies for every bra - that way you can wear a bra twice but have clean matching undies. Ok I am a bit anal . Plus the bras can take a while to dry/ I hand wash but most undies may be able to go in the dryer. When handwashing. Squeeze the item out then wrap in a towel and roll and twist. it works.

Sard soap and sard wonder stick is a must. You can pre-treat your clothes if you spill anything on it and hte sard soap is good to wash stuff in at the sink/shower.

I often jsut use a cross body bag as a handbag for eveyday but when carrying passports I have it around my neck. You can get 'pacsafe'? handbags which are slashproof and make it difficult to open.

I also buy things from supermarkets - muesli bars, water, yoghurt etc - if there is a fridge of course. You can make do with fruit and muesli bars for breakfast if you have to. When I travel with my DS I take vegemite and buy bread and butter to make him vegemite sandwiches for a snack during hte day.

small/mini ziplock bags are handy for bibs and bobs - packing toiletries likely to leak in, buying biscuits in bulk and sealing up the rest etc.

WEar comfortable shoes. I wish I had worn sneakers when we walked all over NY. I had pretty comfy shoes but not enough padding and after a few days my back was so painful.

Take ear plugs in case your accommodation is noisy. I wish I had done this in NY.

Have a great time

Thanks
    Reviews

Rule no.1

Australia is 100 times safer than you know. So keep EVERYTHING in sight..on you and tightly.

Rule no.2

There will be people who.know what you are saying but are too arrogant to care....get language books... Itll be worth it

Sent from my GT-N7000B using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Tell your bank! If they see charges on your card oversees it will be canceled to protect from possible thief. tell them so they can now it. Found that out only when I had to up my online amount to pay for tickets.

Have fun!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Rule no.3

Dont use your austrlian cards/accounts... Way too many fees and chargrs. Get a travel money card or cash card....dont get cash

Sent from my GT-N7000B using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Kayem. It was cheaper for me to use my regular debit card last time.... Will need to check again

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub