+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post

Make sure you carry some loose change around with you, a lot of the toilets cost money to use and they won't accept big notes. I was in a predicament in Italy where I was busting and only had a 20 euro note on me...I was almost tempted to hand the whole thing over
    Oh yeah, I got caught by the pay to enter toilets too. Great tip! Definitely have coins on you at all times! Keep some separate so you don't accidently spend them on other things and get caught short.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

bookwormmum  (02-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Let your bank know you'll be using your card overseas before you go

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Just got back from 6 weeks in Europe. It was soooo good

where are you going exactly?

- as far as a money belt goes, I didnt bother so much. Definitely get a sling satchel that goes over your body though. One that sits on your waist/hip so its natural to put your hand over the top of it.

- if you are a bit concerned, or going somewhere extra seedy (like Sacre Couer) put a safety pin over the zip ... is a little painful to undo every time, but stops anyone else undoing it.

- phone - it will cost you to have your phone on ... so I would make sure your phone is unlocked, and just buy a prepaid sim in whatever country you are in. France was a bit more expensive, Italy really cheap.

- pack light. remember you will buy heaps over there, so remember to leave room for it.

- lunch in supermarkets is great ... but overall I found food wasnt as expensive as I thought it might be.

- fodors and trip advisor are excellent !!!

- some sights I pre-bought tickets, and others didnt have much of a line so was good. As its the low season now, you should be right for most places.

have fun !!!!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Travel tips - 3 weeks in europe

Ooooh 4 star, la di da! So excited for you

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm from England, so done quite a bit of travelling in all the places you mention (easier when it's on your doorstep)!

I normally just drew out money in every country, like you've said you're doing.

In Amsterdam they do great wine and cheese cruises on the barges at night. Definitely worth doing if you get a chance.

So much to do in Paris... all the big ones like Eiffel Tower, Sacre Coeur, Notre Dame, etc. Montmartre (near Sacre Coeur) is lovely to wander around as they have an old fashioned carousel there, a Haagen Dazs cafe (very important ) and lots of street caricature artists and people hawking hand made stuff.

If you have the chance you can go to the big gothic cemetery at Montmartre and go down into the crypts. Very interesting, if a little gruesome!

Make sure you go to the Eiffel Tower at night, as it now sparkles and glitters with the lights! (Used to just be lit up, but now it's extra cool...)

Brussels - it's lovely to dine out in the Grand Place - a big square that lights up in gold at night. The Mannekin Pis is worth seeing (the statue of the little boy peeing), but it's way smaller than you'd think. Took us ages to find and then we were a bit 'oh' - but it's one of those things you 'have' to see if you go!

Erm... any other questions you might have? You can buy pretty much anything you need at any of those places. Have fun

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Travel tips - 3 weeks in europe

Turn data roaming off on your phone!!! Only use wifi, not your own data plan. A weekend in NZ cost my friend $1000!! Make sure you switch it off, as something's use the net without you knowing.

I found my phone okay to use overseas, just not for Internet. But it is best knowing in advance how much it's costing so you can go sick on bragging to your friends, or just texts to tell your family you're okay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Girl X - we're actually staying in Montmartre, right around the corner from Sacre Coeur, and I LOVE cemeteries so I will definitely check it out!!
    I hope it's not too cold or cloudy in Paris so we get a good view of the Eiffel Tower.
    Thank you for the tips for Brussels - I've been kinda stuck on things to do there, haven't found much on lonely planet etc - was just told by some friends that I HAD to go there so I am! Any other things to do there? Good shopping spots?

Katiesmum - thank you, I will put a pin on my bag, especially as I'm staying right next to Sacre Coeur. Is there lots of pickpocketing there?
    In order I'm going to London, Leeds for a night to see a concert, Paris, Berlin, Dusseldorf, Cologne, maybe Hamburg if there's time, Amsterdam, and Brussels.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh yeah - great tip someone gave earlier about forewarning the bank you'll be overseas.

We did a 10 week trip around Europe once, and the bank cancelled our cards as they thought they were being used in too many countries in quick succession! Not helpful...

In the UK pubs have 'time at the bar'. So around 10.45-11pm a bell will ring, and someone will say 'time at the bar', which means that's your last chance to buy drinks before they close up and throw you out. Night clubs and bars in trendy areas usually have late licenses, but your standard pubs close earlier! That caught DH out when he first moved to England

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bookwormmum View Post
    Girl X - we're actually staying in Montmartre, right around the corner from Sacre Coeur, and I LOVE cemeteries so I will definitely check it out!!
    I hope it's not too cold or cloudy in Paris so we get a good view of the Eiffel Tower.
    Thank you for the tips for Brussels - I've been kinda stuck on things to do there, haven't found much on lonely planet etc - was just told by some friends that I HAD to go there so I am! Any other things to do there? Good shopping spots?

Katiesmum - thank you, I will put a pin on my bag, especially as I'm staying right next to Sacre Coeur. Is there lots of pickpocketing there?
    In order I'm going to London, Leeds for a night to see a concert, Paris, Berlin, Dusseldorf, Cologne, maybe Hamburg if there's time, Amsterdam, and Brussels.
    Oh that cemetery is the best! And they've used it in so many films, and based things like the cemetery in Phantom of the Opera on it.

There is a lot of pickpocketing throughout Europe in tourist places, BUT I've never experienced it. Just be sensible, and keep your hand on your bag/ wallet somewhere safe.

You might see some Christmas markets in Europe too!

Not sure about shopping, as I'm not a big shopper. In Paris Forum des Halles has good shopping, and also a cool Musee de Holographie, which is a cool museum that has lots of holographic images in it!

If you go to the Arc de Triomphe then you access it via some steps that take you under the road. Don't try to dash across the road!! (I have a friend who didn't see the underground entrance and did just that).

If you go to the Tower of London then do one of the tours with a yeoman of the guard. They give great info, but also it's lots of fun and really entertaining.

Berlin - lots of cool stuff. Checkpoint Charlie and around that area has a lot of stuff about the wall and the history there. Very interesting, but quite heavy going too. The Brandenburg Gate is worth seeing.

In Amsterdam don't do what my dad did, which was try to take pictures of an elaborately painted cafe in the middle of the red light district. He got shouted at by lots of working ladies, who thought he was photographing them, while Mum and I walked away quickly...!!

If you like art then there's a good gallery in Brussels, with works by Magritte.

Watch your drinks, as not everywhere in Europe works to standard measures. Often they just pour it out, and you can end up having more than you expected! (Not necessarily a bad thing...)

Oh, in France if you order a hot chocolate or milky coffee it often comes in a bowl, so suss out the place before you order. That typically happens in the morning, as French people often dip stuff in it (like croissants, pain au chocolat, etc.) It's less usual for French people to have milky drinks later in the day, so if you order them early it's sometimes assumed you want to dunk your pastry/ bread! Depends on how 'traditional' the place is though.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Travel tips - 3 weeks in europe

Quote Originally Posted by bookwormmum View Post
    Ooo I didn't even think about a hair dryer. And thank you A for the tip about buying lunch from a supermarket - I didn't think of that either! We're staying in like 4 star hotels, so we're not exactly roughing it lol but breakfast isn't included and is pretty expensive. I'm pretty sure there's free internet at all of them but I'd be taking my phone, and DH keeps saying that even having it on and receiving anything costs something... hmm.

For money I think I'm going to just use my visa debit card, and take out a small amount of cash in each city when I get there, enough that would be covered by insurance. We're only in each city for a couple of days so the fees shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks everyone for the help
    Your DH is right. I made sure mine was set so that there was no way it could be used for anything but free wifi. I'm pretty sure I put it in 'plane mode'...I can't exactly remember though sorry. Either way, I used free Internet on my phone throughout Europe for 6 weeks and my bill was just the normal monthly cap fee.