+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    185
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked
    5
    Reviews
    0

    Default 4 months - suddenly changed

    Hi my DD is turning 4 months next week, and has slept through the night since 7 weeks, last feed at 10pm, up at 8-9am She is extremely easy to settle, feed, play for an hour then nap for 1-2 hours. However from a few days ago, she has become more difficult to settle, demand a lot more attention and play time. She refuses to sleep during the day now and would scream as soon as she in in her cot. She started waking up at night, sometimes for cuddle, last night for a feed and is up around 6am rather than 9am. She is also putting everything in her mouth, drooling a lot and is becomes quite distracted during feed. Would it be teething? Ir just a new development stage? Should I just let DD play during the day as much as she wants instead of following the feed, play sleep pattern?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,233
    Thanks
    505
    Thanked
    311
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Look up '4 month old sleep regression'. At this point they sleep differently (eg. don't enter deep sleep as quickly). Does she go back to sleep if you put her back to bed at 6am or is she really ready to start the day?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,005
    Thanks
    1,052
    Thanked
    3,524
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default 4 months - suddenly changed

    This is happening here too.... Tiring!!

    How long does it last?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    185
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked
    5
    Reviews
    0

    Default 4 months - suddenly changed

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellymoe View Post
    Look up '4 month old sleep regression'. At this point they sleep differently (eg. don't enter deep sleep as quickly). Does she go back to sleep if you put her back to bed at 6am or is she really ready to start the day?
    She is ready to start the day. This morning she refused to be put down so we played with her for 30 mins, fed her then put her in her rocker. She was there til around 8:30. Then we moved her to the floor to play she was quite content, then at 9:30 I have just put her back to her cot, not sure how long this would last....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    185
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked
    5
    Reviews
    0

    Default 4 months - suddenly changed

    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    This is happening here too.... Tiring!!

    How long does it last?
    I hope she can go back to her old sleeping pattern soon. But I think we r lucky to have her slept through the night since 7 weeks, a lot of my friends babies don't sleep through until after 6 months.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,005
    Thanks
    1,052
    Thanked
    3,524
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default 4 months - suddenly changed

    DS has never slept through but we have gone from one night waking to three or four

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,439
    Thanks
    732
    Thanked
    452
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default 4 months - suddenly changed

    My DS is only just coming up to 12 weeks (born 2 weeks overdue so i guess he is more like a 14 week old) and I am going through the same problems. I think I could have written your post

    My only difference is he has basically never slept during the day unless he was feeding on my lap or strapped into the carrier. He used to sleep at night from 10 to somewhere between 3-5, have a quick feed then back to sleep until 6:30-7. Now he is waking every night two or three times.

    He is right in the middle of a wonder week from what i can tell. He has had some changes this week, so im hoping he will go back to normal soon.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    105
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked
    21
    Reviews
    0
    OMG I am going through the same thing!!! My 4 month old DD has also slept through the night since 7 weeks and has been a very easy, happy baby. Now I feel like I have lost that little angel and I want her back! I've currently been trying to get her to sleep for an hour. She was self settling beautifully but now won't do it. I have to keep picking her up and rocking her, she'll settle for a while then start crying again. I think it's definitely teething. She is also drooling constantly and always chewing on her fingers. When she's swaddled she can't chew her fingers so I think that's a big part of the sleeping problem. I tried leaving one arm out of the swaddle but it doesn't seem to be helping. I just hate hearing my baby cry, she's never been much of a cryer and it's awful! I just cry with her!

    She is also being really fussy with her bottle, not wanting to drink just wanting to 'chew' on the teat and rub it against her gums.

    We're trying Bonjela and a bit of infant panadol and they have helped a little bit, but only a little bit. As others have said it's a combination of teething and their sleep cycles changing at four months. I don't think there's anything we can do except give them lots of cuddles and hang in there!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,708
    Thanks
    893
    Thanked
    2,784
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default 4 months - suddenly changed

    Typical 4 month behavior. DS1 did it and DS2 who is 17 weeks is doing it. We've gone from zero to 3 feeds a night. It's the 4 month sleep regression and its hideous.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    185
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked
    5
    Reviews
    0

    Default 4 months - suddenly changed

    Quote Originally Posted by justthe3ofus View Post
    OMG I am going through the same thing!!! My 4 month old DD has also slept through the night since 7 weeks and has been a very easy, happy baby. Now I feel like I have lost that little angel and I want her back! I've currently been trying to get her to sleep for an hour. She was self settling beautifully but now won't do it. I have to keep picking her up and rocking her, she'll settle for a while then start crying again. I think it's definitely teething. She is also drooling constantly and always chewing on her fingers. When she's swaddled she can't chew her fingers so I think that's a big part of the sleeping problem. I tried leaving one arm out of the swaddle but it doesn't seem to be helping. I just hate hearing my baby cry, she's never been much of a cryer and it's awful! I just cry with her!

    She is also being really fussy with her bottle, not wanting to drink just wanting to 'chew' on the teat and rub it against her gums.

    We're trying Bonjela and a bit of infant panadol and they have helped a little bit, but only a little bit. As others have said it's a combination of teething and their sleep cycles changing at four months. I don't think there's anything we can do except give them lots of cuddles and hang in there!
    omg she is doing the same thing with her bottle! and refused to bf since Sunday! maybe it is teething I am going to the doc on sat for her vaccination maybe I will ask.
    Last edited by Tses; 02-11-2012 at 10:29.


 

Similar Threads

  1. 6mo suddenly become fussy?
    By TnA in forum Weaning & Starting solids
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-08-2012, 13:57
  2. 19.5 weeks & my belly suddenly changed in one spot
    By JWM in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-08-2012, 08:11
  3. 3yo DD very suddenly stuttering
    By bookwormmum in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-03-2012, 20:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pebblebee
Parents spend hours looking for things they need NOW. The keys, the remote, darling daughter's treasured teddy. Stop wasting precious time looking & start finding with Bub Hub reviewed Pebblebee Smart Tag. Simply attach a Pebblebee and find it fast.
sales & new stuffsee all
The Health Hub
Give a new mum a fitness boost for Christmas & New Year. Studio-based, small group training sessions - cardio, strength, core, Pilates & boxing. Choice of 16 hrs per week, flexible-arrival feature - bubs & kids welcome! Gift vouchers available.
featured supporter
Sarah Tooke Childbirth & Parenting Education
Providing private, personalised antenatal childbirth & parenting education to expectant parents in the comfort of their own home. Sessions are flexible, including everything that hospital based programs cover. Click to find out more!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!