+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Multiples - how and when did you find out?

Hiya. Just looking for stories really. Just wondering how you found out you were having twins (or more)? Did you have an early scan and it showed then? Or was it at 20 weeks, or later? Dud you have a sixth sense about it or did you get a complete shock?

Just curious.

M

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Scan at 10.5 weeks to see if I had miscarried 5 weeks earlier or not. To say it was a shock was a massive understatement. If I hadn't of been lying down, I certainly would have fallen down. I went in expecting nothing, came out with 2

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    Scan at 10.5 weeks to see if I had miscarried 5 weeks earlier or not. To say it was a shock was a massive understatement. If I hadn't of been lying down, I certainly would have fallen down. I went in expecting nothing, came out with 2
    What an awesome result for you!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Multiples - how and when did you find out?

I found out at 10+5 weeks i was having twins after being hospitalized with severe morning sickness and the doctor there requested an ultrasound to make sure everything was ok
    It was a massive shock to say the least, but now couldn't be happier

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Yes! And I was all alone- DP had to be at work, my parents had gone on holidays so I didn't know, and all my friends were at work. I had no one to share it with! I was trying to call everyone so I could tell SOMEONE but no one was answering their phones! It was HELL!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Multiples - how and when did you find out?

Wow! That Definatly must have been a big shock!!!
    What an awesome result

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes! And I was all alone- DP had to be at work, my parents had gone on holidays so I didn't know, and all my friends were at work. I had no one to share it with! I was trying to call everyone so I could tell SOMEONE but no one was answering their phones! It was HELL!
    Hahaha! You would have been cursing everyone, I bet.

Thanks
    Reviews

Wow Nomsie!! Had that been your first scan?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

At the 12 week scan. I definitely hadn't been expecting it - I'd felt so well that I was almost constantly scared I'd had a missed miscarriage.

Only clues were a little shifting in my stomach that could have been either movement or wind & realizing my jeans were a bit tight, which I figured was bloating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticMummy View Post
    Wow Nomsie!! Had that been your first scan?
    No. I'd actually gone to ED at just over 5 weeks because I was bleeding. They were fantastic and I went straight in. They did an internal (again I was alone- DP was at a mates house I think?) and I was crying the whole time, but they were very sensitive. They said they couldn't find the source of the bleeding, so I was most likely miscarrying. I was eventually sent home (DP had arrived by that time) and told to go to radiology the next day for an ultrasound.
    So of course being just over 5 weeks I had to have an internal ultrasound (NEVER knew such things existed until that day- awkward!) and they only saw a pole- no sac or anything else.
    They also took blood to look at my HCG level. We waited in the ED for hours afterwards for the results (I actually think we were forgotten about) and eventually we were told it wasn't good- nothing showing on the scan was a negative sign, go home and wait to start bleeding.
    A week or so later I got a call from the (can't remember the word- a student dr!!) saying she was doing a follow up and that there was a discrepancy she couldn't work out. I had a VERY high HCG level, but with a level that high, something DEFINITELY should have been showing on the scan. She asked did I still feel pregnant, which was hard to answer because I'd only been pregnant once before (some years previous but didn't end up going full term, no baby.) and I didn't know whether or not I was just plain sick, or still pregnant.

So then of course I had to wait about a month before my first scheduled c/s and that's when they found twins. It was basically
    'how are you feeling today?'
    me 'very nervous, I may have miscarried so I've kind of been dreading this day'
    'Oh no, well lets get started then and see what's going on. Oh, look- there is a very healthy heart beat in there! Congratulations'
    me 'Oh! I'm so relived!'
    'Oooh......'
    me '??????'
    'Do you have twins in your family? Your partners family?'
    me 'no?'
    'Well there's two in there!'
    me 'WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE'S TWO??????'

And of course now hindsight- I know why my HCG was so high very early on. We also learnt later on that the bleeding I experienced on and off throughout my pregnancy was bruising on the placenta thanks to two big boofer babies.

And incidentally, the student dr that told me I was miscarrying and to go home and wait it out was also the one who delivered my boys.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

blacksox  (10-11-2012),MoonMoon  (28-09-2013)