+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Has anyone else noticed...

That ad for a sports betting agency, where the woman spanks the bloke on the bum with a horse whip thingy?
    Now, I'm no prude, but I can't help but think... if it were reversed, and the guy hit the girl with a whip, sh!t would certainly hit the fan and the ad would probably be pulled off the air.

So, how come society condones this, oh lets call it belittling (because that would no doubt be the argument if it were the other way around) of men and it's accepted, light hearted etc.. yet like I said, switch the genders and all of a sudden it's sexual harrassment.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the ad, just think that it's a strange, hypocritical little world we live in and things like this make no sense to me.

Giddyup..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes I hate this 'reverse sexism'. There are lots of ads that make men look dumb, belittle men etc. I can't stand it and I wonder what my son thinks/will think when he understands the ads.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

beccacino  (02-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    Yes I hate this 'reverse sexism'. There are lots of ads that make men look dumb, belittle men etc. I can't stand it and I wonder what my son thinks/will think when he understands the ads.
    It's not reverse sexism, it's just plain sexism against men. I agree though. It's not cool.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

squirrelex  (02-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    My partner and I loathe the ads (and it seems a common theme in most these days) where the man is portrayed as a clueless, daft idiot and the wife character has the brains. So annoying and just so wrong, yet totally acceptable.,
    Last edited by vulgardisplayofpower; 01-11-2012 at 21:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like sexism, it is rife in many a work place against men, Im honest. At hubbies work x amount of women must be promoted regardless of abilty ( many have failed and work suffers), but they have a 'quota' so unfair that we have now descimination against men for being men. I find it sexist to the core that there is a 'woman quota' . Yay I earnt position as you had to give it to a woman. I agree 20 years ago discrimination, but now no. I have never seen any descrimination against women in my workplace...and I work in a 'man' field casual.
    To me a 'women quota' is even more derogatory
    Don't get how a man being humilated is funny but a woman it is discrimination - Im a staunch feminist who aborrs anything against women. Just don't get it
    Sorry looks like I have abducted the thread.
    I agree fully with you men deserve respect too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by vulgardisplayofpower View Post
    Now, I'm no prude, but I can't help but think... if it were reversed, and the guy hit the girl with a whip, sh!t would certainly hit the fan and the ad would probably be pulled off the air.

I dunno, the whole s&m thing has certainly been popularized this year thanks to that awful novel I can't bring myself to name...

I do hate gender stereotypes of any persuasion.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (02-11-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (01-11-2012),RobinSparkles  (02-11-2012),vulgardisplayofpower  (01-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrie77 View Post
    Sounds like sexism, it is rife in many a work place against men, Im honest. At hubbies work x amount of women must be promoted regardless of abilty ( many have failed and work suffers), but they have a 'quota' so unfair that we have now descimination against men for being men. I find it sexist to the core that there is a 'woman quota' . Yay I earnt position as you had to give it to a woman. I agree 20 years ago discrimination, but now no. I have never seen any descrimination against women in my workplace...and I work in a 'man' field casual.
    To me a 'women quota' is even more derogatory
    Don't get how a man being humilated is funny but a woman it is discrimination - Im a staunch feminist who aborrs anything against women. Just don't get it
    Sorry looks like I have abducted the thread.
    I agree fully with you men deserve respect too
    The whole concept makes me a little ill, to be honest. So now workplaces are resorting to fake fairness, just making it "look" like they are treating women equally by having them on display in high positions in the company? So those woman have nothing to be proud of and have done nothing to achieve the promotion. I agree, that in itself is twisted and degrading to women. How peculiar.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to vulgardisplayofpower For This Useful Post:

mousky  (01-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate vampires.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vulgardisplayofpower For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (02-11-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (02-11-2012),squirrelex  (02-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Personally I can't understand how we condone an ad about vaginal discharge by a naked woman!!!' Omg I hate that ad with a passion!!!! Can't comment in the other ad as haven't seen it but totally agree with op. why do we allow one but not the other. Tbh though I don't find much offensive (other than vaginal discharge!) and I'm not much of a feminist nor very politically correct!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bellibean For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (02-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bellibean View Post
    Personally I can't understand how we condone an ad about vaginal discharge by a naked woman!!!' Omg I hate that ad with a passion!!!! Can't comment in the other ad as haven't seen it but totally agree with op. why do we allow one but not the other. Tbh though I don't find much offensive (other than vaginal discharge!) and I'm not much of a feminist nor very politically correct!
    But vaginal discharge is a normal body fluid...over 50% of the population experiences it, or has experienced it, or will experience it.

It's not crass or vulgar like the toilet paper ad about gripples.

Vaginal discharge and nudity are not sexual, unlike linx ads or erectile disruption ads....

What is not to condone?

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (02-11-2012),darla87  (02-11-2012),Lillynix  (03-11-2012),RobinSparkles  (02-11-2012),SassyMummy  (02-11-2012),saxonrose  (02-11-2012)