+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Reading to toddlers - any tips?

My 18month old DS is not interested in being read to at all. Every time I try he insists on taking the book out of my hands to turn the pages by himself (too quickly to read out anything on the page). He's more interested in the action of page turning than the pictures on the page or what I'm saying.

He likes books but not in anyone else's hands and will often sit and play with a book by himself. Any ideas?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Candiceo For This Useful Post:

Ayesha  (17-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Let him play with it. That's great for him at that age. Let him turn the pages, and play with it, and just point out pictures on the page and talk about what's happening. Being interested in books at all is half the battle, so it sounds like you're doing great!

My daughter loved being read to from day dot. My son was more of the 'just let me do it myself type'. As he's gotten older (2 and a half now), he's moved on to loving being properly read to.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Candiceo  (01-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Reading to toddlers - any tips?

My DD goes through stages of being less interested. I find if the story rhymes it holds her attention!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

Candiceo  (01-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    my DD is going thru this also. As frustrating as it can be, just go with it. Follow their lead. You dont want story times to become stressfull. I guess they are learning their independence. When DD takes the book off me i usually just ask her some questions about the page she's on like, "where is the tiger?", "what noise does the tiger make?"
    Sometimes i'll find dd playing where i keep her books and she will be laying on her back with a book babbling off to herself. Throw it across the room after a page and then get another one, doing the same thing lol I just love that she's very interested in books We hire from the library so we always have something different
    Oh and if we turn the story into a song, she seems to be more interested lol particilrly if we do actions!
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 01-11-2012 at 13:08.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

Candiceo  (01-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Paying attention to what's on the pages will come in time. At least he likes them!! DS went through that stage (and I let him) but now he's happy to sit on my lap and turn the pages as I read to him. I love it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I give my 13 month old DS a book of his own to "read" while i read to him, he loves turning the pages in his book and i read the other one

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

pinkdolly  (12-12-2012)