+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How hard is it returning to work PT with 2 little ones?

*I probably should have titled this 'should I return to work now or later'!

When ds1 was 11m I returned to work 3 days per week as a teacher. My hours varied from 830-4/430pm + occasional after work and weekend work, peaking at various times.
    I have told my principal that I will be returning at the beginning of next year, again 3 days but this time I will have ds2 who will be just turning 1yr and ds1 who will be 3.5yrs.
    I'm now having 2nd thoughts about taking an extra semester off and returning when ds1 is around 17m old in July.

The only thing is my office really, really want me back as they are having personal and work issues with the person who has replaced me. It's not enough to 'report' her, just enough to drive them a tad crazy! They just clash with her I guess and can't wait for me to come back so everything can return to normal! I love my office, they are like my 2nd family.

I'm confused and am not sure what to do.

Will the extra 5 months off make a difference?
    It will be nice to spend that extra time with ds2 especially, as he will transition from a chubby 11m old to a toddler-like 17m old! Also will it be a tad easier once he is that little bit older?
    (Oh and it will be mainly my mum and mil looking after ds2 and same + kinder for ds1)
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 01-11-2012 at 09:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It takes some adjustment. Tbh I find it just as hard now as I did a year ago (he is now 2). He likes kindy/daycare which helps a lot, but now that he is older sometimes he doesn't want me to leave, which us hard. But he is over it the second I walk out the door (I peak through the window and he's off playing with some toy!).

Its really up to you - make the decision based on what's best for you and your fam, not the company you work for. Can you perhaps compromise and tell them you're not quite ready yet but would be happy to do 1 or 2 days for now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    One - two days is difficult to timetable classes for unless I did casual teaching which I don't really like doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    God it's hard !! I have a 16mth old a 4 year old. I work 8 shifts a month. my youngest still wakes at night and im exhausted Don't go back unless u have to! You will be working the next 30 years. once ur back u will realise its the same old crap just a different day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I have to now I signed the form in October saying I'll return and the cut off was 1/11/12. I spoke to the union. I dont want to lose my position completely. Lucky it's only 3 days per week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How hard is it returning to work PT with 2 little ones?

I returned to school 3 days a week this term. I have an 8 month old and a 3.75 year old. We all EXHAUSTED by the end of Wednesday (both kids had a 4 hour sleep today).

We leave home at 7:15, drop DS off at 7:25 & leave by 7:30, drop DD off at 7:40 & leave by 7:45, arrive at school at 7:55 and classes start at 8:30.

In the afternoon I pick DD up at 4:30, DS at 4:40 and we're home by 4:50. Their dinner time is 5:30.

My biggest tip is organisation! I *hate* mornings so when the kids go to bed I exercise for 90 minutes, make all lunches, pack all bags (including mine), place in the lounge room and lay everyone's clothes on top of them. Then in the morning we just have to get up, have breakfast and leave.