+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just remembered I'd posted a few recipes on the forum before
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...ecipes-for-you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cows milk protein allergy?

Thank you - they look so yum!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Posted more recipes in the other thread

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did online shopping tonight buying all the things you recommended in the food list. Am excited, especially to know there is chocolate in there!! Thanks so much, it would have been really hard to stick to without knowing all that!

Also hoping to bake some of the muffins tomorrow if bub stays down for a decent sleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    Did you find out if it is a dairy intolerance? My son had severe nappy rash and constant runny stools. It was not dairy intolerance, but a hypersensitivity to lactose (which occurs naturally in breast milk and is not influenced by food, e.g. dairy). So we substituted 2 breast feeds per day with lactose-free formula to relieve his gut of too much lactose (I pumped to maintain my supply in case it wasn't working) and the symptoms resolved within 2 days. No more nappy rash or colic. I've been keeping that up for the last 6 months (2 lactose-free formula feeds a day and breast feeding on demand) and it's been great. Wish I had found this out earlier to spare him the agony. Might be worth looking into before you get deficiencies due to cutting back major food groups... good luck with finding the cause!

Thanks
    Reviews

I haven't found out yet, we have a paed appointment on the 21st of this month. I think it's been around 2 weeks dairy free I haven't noticed any improvement really. I am taking supplements on my doctors advice to keep up calcium etc. I don't think it's lactose intolerance as we don't have green frothy poos, and I'm really not keen to give formula unless she isn't gaining weight or is in pain. As it is, she is a happy chucker, I just would like to explore all avenues to make sure I have tried all I can to help relieve the vomiting if it can be helped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope the appointment goes well for you! As a note, our baby did not have green frothy poos either (I was just constantly changing runny pooey nappies) and gained weight like crazy on the breast (if he had been completely intolerant instead of just very sensitive to it, he would have lost weight). It was just the nappy rash that could not be resolved over 2 months and colic. Anyway, I don't want to steal your thread and turn it into one about lactose intolerance... I thought I'd just put this out there because when I was at my wit's end and searched the internet, a lot of people suggested cow's milk protein allergy, but no one mentioned lactose because of the weight gain. Even a lot of GPs aren't aware of it. An awesome pediatrician finally helped as out. Also, I wasn't aware that a baby with this problem could still thrive on breastmilk by substituting some of the feeds with formula. But if your baby is happy and not in any kind of pain, then there is really no need to try the lactose free formula!! Hopefully, you find the cause for the vomiting soon. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews

Not stealing at all, I am still looking for answers so all suggestions are good! The paed I'm going to see does allergy testing, is that how you found out your LO was lactose sensitive? My bubs rash is finally clearing now with a new cream I'm using, it's almost gone I am so relieved. But obviously it's caused by something so I still am going to mention it at our appt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://lacteeze.com.au/breastfeeding.html

I haven't had experience with lactose intolerance/sensitivity in babies but found Lacteeze very effective for my own lactose sensitivity. You can get drops which can be added to expressed breast milk. This could make it possible to continue to exclusively breastfeed in the case of an issue with lactose.

The link explains how it can be used.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Euphrosyne For This Useful Post:

Sarelou  (14-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

My LO was diagnosed with milk protein intolerance. He also has GERD(reflux).
    I spoke with my paed and in order to keep breastfeeding I would need to eliminate anything containing milk protein. I am lactose intolerant as it is, so I have no dairy in my diet. Milk protein is totally different to lactose. Just eliminating dairy won't help.
    Make sure you are also eliminating things like : whey, ammonium/calcium/magnesium/potassium/sodium/rennet cassinate, casin, and quite a few other things that you might not think will have milk protein. You will need to see a dietician who can provide you with a complete list of things with milk protein.
    It has been proven that screaming in pain does do something to an infant neurologically. So rather than allow my child to screech in pain for 1.5/2 hours after a feed, I switched to formula and have stopped breastfeeding. The elimination diet is too stressful and restrictive. I didn't want to be out at dinner eating a carrot from my bag because I wasn't sure of the ingredients in the food. Milk protein can take 1.5-2 weeks to leave your breastmilk. It's not an instant thing. So you will need to eliminate Everything with milk protein then wait 2 weeks, see if the settling improves. It may also take some time for everything else to fall into place.
    Have you thought about formula for a few feeds to calm Bubs for part of the day or night? And then doing breast the rest?
    This is how it was discovered for us. We did formula at night and breastmilk during the day. Day settling was much longer, formula was about 15-30 min. Poop test confirmed.
    Get a poop test done prior to going to your paed. This will help eliminate things too. I know that getting into a paed can take a few weeks so the more you eliminate the better.