+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cows milk protein allergy?

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with bubs having cows mil protein allergy. I am going to ring a local lactation consultant tomorrow, but looking for any experiences..

She has great weight gain but projectile vomits 1-2 times a day, and has started having some green poos and her poos are usually quite explosive. Today one also had a bit of mucus in it.

She is exclusively breastfed. TIA

Thanks
    Reviews

Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

DD was the same but she also had blood in her stools. I cut out all dairy along with eggs and nuts but she got worse. I had to stop BF and put her on a script formula.

I found the lactation consultants to be absolutely disgusting with our issues.

2 told me to keep BF, because the pain she was going through would be worth it in years to come if I can make it till she is 1 BF!!!!

They were awful, DD instantly improved on formula.

I would try and cut ALL dairy out (read every label, you will be shocked how much has milk) for 2 weeks. If no improvement at all I would consider formula. Are you seeing a paed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We havent seen a paed yet. So was your daughter actually diagnosed as having CMPI? Thanks for your reply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We went to a GP and had DS' poo tested which showed a mild cow milk protein intolerance.

The GP advised a prescription formula but I was keen to avoid as they taste so bad, so I got a second opinion from a paed who agreed that as it was so mild we should continue on the Bellamy (he is FF) and hopefully he would grow out of it.

We only took this course as his intolerance was mild and by the time we saw the paed he had very mild symptoms. He is now totally fine so this worked for us, but obviously wouldn't be right for everyone.

Good luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Yes she was. She had a few tests done and was diagnosed when she was 7 weeks old.

DD still can't have any dairy and she is 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

2 out of my 3 babies have been intolerant of both dairy protein and soy. They also had terrible reflux, which was managed with high doses of 2 different reflux medications.
    I had to completely (label checking everything) eliminate both dairy and soy from my diet so I could continue to breast feed. My DD was fine with soy from 10 months, but it wasn't until she was over a year old that I could eat dairy again. She's almost 3 and can only tolerate small amounts of dairy still.
    I eliminated dairy before DS was born, at 8 months I reintroduced soy into my diet with no problems and at 10 months I reintroduced small amounts of dairy. His tummy seems to be ok with it, but his eczema has flared up since then, so I won't be feeding him dairy directly until he is probably 2.
    The only reliable way to test for intolerances is to completely eliminate the protein and then challenge it to see if the symptoms return.
    The 3 symptoms you are looking for are-
    Reflux
    Tummy cramps and
    Mucous in the poo

You need to eliminate dairy for a month so it is completely out of both yours and bub's system and then have a moderate amount (like a tub of yoghurt) every day until all 3 symptoms return. If all 3 symptoms return the challenge has failed. Since most babies grow out of cows milk protein intolerance between 6-12 months, you might eliminate dairy and find your bub is so much better than you decide not to challenge it until bub is older.
    Also, lots of babies intolerant to cows milk protein can't tolerate soy either.
    If you don't think you can handle such a restricted diet, a prescription formula like neocate or elecare can be prescribed by a paediatrician.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My little one is 14 months, Breastfeeding and cmpi. And I'm a lactation consultant, but hopefully not a disgusting one. Obviously elemental formula is not ideal for brain growth but eliminating is also quite tricky. My baby is intolerant of bananas and tomatoes in my diet too so eliminating dairy alone would have been ineffective. Although elimination diets are not fun, putting a baby on elemental formula is essentially putting them on one for the most important part of their brain development. Breast milk gives them a range of long chain fatty acids and growth hormones, switches on genes that impact on their long term health and development. I have made the decision to choose Breastfeeding with a somewhat restricted diet myself and acknowledging that she does suffer some degree of rashes, vomiting, and discomfort at times too. It is only for a couple of years. She is being acclimatised and exposed to family foods through breast milk and there is some evidence that small exposures over time reduce allergies. At the moment she can't sit near eggs without coming out in hives, but she can now just about tolerate butter in small amounts. It is a very personal decision how much inconvenience you are willing to put up with but even a cursory reading of the evidence is pretty convincing that elemental formula is a higher risk than I am willing to take. I can point you to some studies if you are interested.

Thanks
    Reviews

I did the elimination diet before stopping BF, I was eating potatos, pears and rice for ages with no improvement. You can also get a formula with fatty acids.

But thanks for implying I never tried to make sacrifices for my DD. I'm glad the risk wasn't as bad for you as it CLEARY was for my screaming baby who was in constant pain and pooing nothing but blood and mucus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Neocate LCP has long chain fatty acids for brain development. I realise why in your case you feel that BF is best, your bub obviously isn't having a severe reaction. I tried the elimination thing too, it was incredibly restrictive and DD was still having symptoms and not gaining much weight. It took her 4 months to gain 1 kilo, and that was largely because that 4th month she was on Neocate. IMO the risk of malnutrition from everything flying out of her before she could absorb it was greater for her development. Not to mention bowel damage, damage to her oesophagus from reflux, the stress hormones from screaming for hours on end... It had nothing to do with convenience on my part. I found FF way less convenient, but she's much healthier for it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (01-11-2012)