+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4 month old won't sleep

Basically without writing a novel my dd3 4 months won't sleep unless she's being held by me or i'm laying in the bed with her, it's not working out well as it's taking me hours to get her to sleep each time and everyone and everything else is getting neglected due to me having to spend hours on end trying to get dd3 to sleep, she'll pretty much only fall asleep if i rock her which can take forever and then as soon as i try to put her down she screams to be picked up again. help please i'm exhausted

Thanks
    Reviews

Have you heard of 4 month sleep regression? I was a mess when as was 4 months, then all the ladies in my mothers group followed suit with their little ones. I was reading a little bit on it the other day as my new des is approaching that age. It's just a stage and it will pass.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Yep exactly what Bellibean said with the sleep regression. DD4 hit 16weeks and bam went from sleeping 12+hours a night to waking 10+ times a night. It last 10weeks and she's sleeping through again phew!!
    Hope you start getting some decent sleep soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou that makes perfect sense, I never knew there was a name for it, my other kids were never great sleepers but i do recall them getting worse at 4 months, i was expecting dd3 so go backwards a bit at 4 months especially since she's been such a great sleeper i wasn't holding out hope it would last, but i didn't expect it to be this bad LOL, well i will hang in there and hope it passes soon, and hopefully not another 10 weeks LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Good luck with it I'm sure you'll have a perfect little sleeper in no time. You could also google wonder weeks, it shows you times when some babies will go through 'stages'

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are a couple of threads around about this at the moment, including one started by me . I'm going through the same thing. I'd heard about the four month sleep regression and was hoping it wouldn't happen to me...wishful thinking lol. I've gone from having a beautiful sleeper and being in a lovely routine to feeling like I have a newborn again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks i did check out the wonder weeks, amazing after 3 kids how much you still learn LOL

My first 2 were already bad sleepers and then got worse, dd3 was pretty awesome from week 2 onwards and had just started sleeping through before this so i'm now experiencing newborn with her when i didn't when she was a newborn, oh well guess you can't have it all, she's still awake now (11.30pm) my bed is calling me but nowhere in sight

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I feel for you!
    My DD now 2.5yrs slept like any other baby up until she was 4months old.After that it was a nightmare but our didnt get better for a very long time! All I can advise is to try and get on top of it early! She need to learn t all asleep in her cot otherwise she will expect you to be there and rock her every time she wakes. I dont believein the cry it out butthere are ther ways that you can try.

My girl was also very similar to your little one having to be held and rocked to sleep which took ages.

I think you are dealing wth a couple of issues here. The waking up is probably due to her going through the sleep regression but the not falling asleep for ages when you first put her down, could be that she is either not ready for sleep or finds it hard to wind down or relax. Have you tried bathing and massaging before she goes to bed? Try calming techniques before she goes to bed and try not to have the tv going before bed. Also, babies who find it hard to fall asleep go really need a sleep routine. Do you do that with her?

All the best!
    Full Time Mum