+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Help! Screaming when going down for day sleep

Hope someone can give me some tips. The 2 year old I look after has always been a dream sleeper. Goes down without a peep for his day sleep and never sleeps less than 2 hours. He's one of those kids that really needs and loves his sleep.

But this week he's been a nightmare. Screaming as soon as he's put in his cot and won't stop until I go back in to him. If I cuddle him to sleep and put him in his cot, he wakes up and screams when I leave.

I'm totally at a loss. He's not ready to drop it - if he doesn't sleep he is completely feral and will fall asleep at 5 at the dinner table.

His routine hasn't changed but we have a new nanny share and I physically can't be in with him as I also have a 10 m/o who will cry if I'm out of sight.

Any ideas?

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Help! Screaming when going down for day sleep

Could you let him take a special toy to bed? My DS went through a bit of carry on at around that age. What I do now is I let him take 1 small toy to bed with him (like a matchbox car, or a figurine) which seems to distract him enough to get him to bed without a fuss. He'll generally play in bed longer than I'd like, but i factor that in now and put him down 20 mins earlier. It also means he's not as tired so sort of doesn't realise he's being sent there to go to sleep, heh heh.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

He has a comfort toy, Ducky, that he takes but maybe I'll let him choose one other toy and see if that makes a difference!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Maybe push naptime back a little?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Or call or rest time and say he doesn't need to sleep? Just rest quietly with some books and toys.

The other thing that used to work for me at that age was putting DD in the thick of things but have her resting. The effect of her not feeling shut away and the fact she was absolutely tired and needing a sleep meant she dropped off and stayed asleep for very decent amount of time.

She's weird though. So just a suggestion!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    Maybe push naptime back a little?
    I was going to suggest this too...

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Help! Screaming when going down for day sleep

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    He has a comfort toy, Ducky, that he takes but maybe I'll let him choose one other toy and see if that makes a difference!
    Yeah DS has about 27 comfort toys, LOL. But i let him take one thing to play with, which seemed to make the difference. Maybe you could buy him a little toy, like a helicopter or a character toy he's really into that can be just for playing with at nap time. *not to advocate bribery *

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

He doesn't 'get' the concept of resting. He will stay awake but whinge constantly and gets really clumsy because he's so tired.

I could try and pull nap time back a bit if his parents let me!!! He goes down at about 1, maybe I can try and keep him out until 2 if they let me (they're pretty rigid).

Thanks
    Reviews

I might let him take one of his trains in. They're not usually allowed out of the toy room so that might be a good incentive!

Thanks
    Reviews

(Don't tell them)