+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That sucks Stacey.. did you call the police??

As for the american stuff... I lived there for a year and LOVED the way americans celebrate. Everything was a huge parade and dressing up and a lot of fun. As someone who loves dress ups and celebrating things (yes, even the mundane) I had a lot of fun. Halloween would be very depressing, as would most celebrations I could imagine, being an American living in Australia. It just isn't the same.

However.... I think that's the point people are trying to make. It is culture. Americans have a culture of getting very excited over everything. I loved it while living there, but it just isn't the typical Australian thing to do, and that is why people are saying "it is american". We celebrate different things. I think people get annoyed because it seems at times that Americans feel as though their way is the best way. The paragraph I have highlighted shows what I mean. Australians actually DON'T have 95% of our shows being american. Quick google search shows that 3 years ago 55% of our content was all Australian, over 30% of the rest being British and the rest being from other countries, and those other countries being NOT just USA. Since digital TV the percentage is now 35% of Australian content and a higher content of British TV and American TV. Old shows, to fill in the new spaces. Not less Australian content though, we have more shows being made just a lower percentage due to the extra channels now.

If an English person came in and said we watch a heap of their TV shows and rip off their culture then I would say that's a much fairer call. But there is actually less American influence than you would like to think. I certainly found the culture gap very huge while living in America. One thing I did notice, is the tendency to think the rest of the world only concentrated on America and looked up to America. Which is wrong. Even a lot of well educated Americans make fun of the assumption.

I'm not anti USA at all. Just don't overestimate your influence on the rest of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by SquiggsMom View Post

I'm probably going to open up a whole can of worms saying this but I'm tired of all this Anti-American crap. Not only on this topic but many others as well. I don't understand why a country where 95% of TV are American shows, 80% of the songs on the radio are American artists, and with all the E-Hollywood gossip on the news people are so surprised when American-isms (good and bad) start to invade everyday life. Don't get me wrong, I don't think our ways should take over the world or anything. I love Australia and all it's little nuances (except nappy, I just can't call it a nappy) but American things are popular over here because the Australian people want it that way. And, with the internet being what it is, things are only going to become more integrated across the world.

So if you don't like our stuff, stop watching our TV (and ripping off our shows), stop listening to our music, stop giving a crap about our celebrities and go watch The Shire quick before we start making you celebrate 4th of July too!! (that was a joke)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

delirium  (02-11-2012),Mulva  (02-11-2012),Pilbara  (02-11-2012),shelle65  (02-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    If an English person came in and said we watch a heap of their TV shows and rip off their culture then I would say that's a much fairer call. But there is actually less American influence than you would like to think. I certainly found the culture gap very huge while living in America. One thing I did notice, is the tendency to think the rest of the world only concentrated on America and looked up to America. Which is wrong. Even a lot of well educated Americans make fun of the assumption.

I'm not anti USA at all. Just don't overestimate your influence on the rest of the world.
    I've noticed this too, or the assumption the rest of the world knows everything about the USA. I don't think I'd ever be as arrogant as to tell someone overseas I live in 'Queensland' and then just expect them to know that's in Australia.

USA tv shows make up maybe 1/6 of what I watch.

But thank you America, for Sons of Anarchy, 16 and Pregnant, Teen Mom and Jersey Shore. They've taught me so much about America.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (02-11-2012),shelle65  (02-11-2012)

Three Little Birds is offline Formerly Squiggsmom - I'll make it to the moon if I have to crawl.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    That sucks Stacey.. did you call the police??

As for the american stuff... I lived there for a year and LOVED the way americans celebrate. Everything was a huge parade and dressing up and a lot of fun. As someone who loves dress ups and celebrating things (yes, even the mundane) I had a lot of fun. Halloween would be very depressing, as would most celebrations I could imagine, being an American living in Australia. It just isn't the same.

However.... I think that's the point people are trying to make. It is culture. Americans have a culture of getting very excited over everything. I loved it while living there, but it just isn't the typical Australian thing to do, and that is why people are saying "it is american". We celebrate different things. I think people get annoyed because it seems at times that Americans feel as though their way is the best way. The paragraph I have highlighted shows what I mean. Australians actually DON'T have 95% of our shows being american. Quick google search shows that 3 years ago 55% of our content was all Australian, over 30% of the rest being British and the rest being from other countries, and those other countries being NOT just USA. Since digital TV the percentage is now 35% of Australian content and a higher content of British TV and American TV. Old shows, to fill in the new spaces. Not less Australian content though, we have more shows being made just a lower percentage due to the extra channels now.

Australia is hardly the rest of the world.
    Didn't realize I needed to google exact figures to make a point. This is just a forum, not a research paper. The point was most of your entertainment is American. The figures you just put up prove that. Every country thinks their way is the best way, so not sure what your point was there. If we lived in the UK, I would say you are correct about American culture not being an influence. They definitely hold their own. I was talking about Australian culture being influenced because that's the only one I have first hand experience with. Everyone likes to take a dig at Americans because we are so internally focused, so I'll give you that, I agree most of Americans are. The culture gap is not that big. If you don't think the crap you watch & buy from the American culture (along with British culture) is influencing the Australian culture, you aren't paying attention.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Three Little Birds For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (04-11-2012),Phony  (02-11-2012)

Three Little Birds is offline Formerly Squiggsmom - I'll make it to the moon if I have to crawl.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=BlissedOut;6886632] I've noticed this too, or the assumption the rest of the world knows everything about the USA. I don't think I'd ever be as arrogant as to tell someone overseas I live in 'Queensland' and then just expect them to know that's in Australia.

Really? I lived near and worked at Disney World before moving out here. And most of the Australian tourists I met absolutely do expect you to know that! So to hear your assumptions are ironically funny!

And those shows represent American life just as much as the Shire and the Irwins represent yours.
    Last edited by Three Little Birds; 02-11-2012 at 09:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SquiggsMom View Post
    Really? I lived near and worked at Disney World before moving out here. And most of the Australian tourists I met absolutely do expect you to know that! So to hear your assumptions are ironically funny!

And those shows represent American life just as much as the Shire and the Irwins represent yours.
    I'm not Australian and yes, the Irwins is what a lot of foreigners base their perception of Australia on, I've also never ever heard an Australian refer to where they come from as 'New South Wales' outside of this country.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Three Little Birds  (02-11-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to agree. Vandalism is vandalism no matter what time of year it is. The only way to reduce it's effects is by stomping on it early by reporting it to the police.
    I think things like this will happen until Aus either wholeheartedly accepts the practice it (thereby setting up some 'unofficial' societal rules) or we reject it completely.
    I'd prefer that as a society we stand up and decide that hooligans aren't cool no matter when they decide to pull the rubbish. Vandalism happens at Halloween in America, but I wouldn't think it would be any more common than say vandalism at New Years in Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Stupid d*ckhead kids throwing sh*t at our cars (eggs and rocks I'm assuming) and making a crack in DP's new ute's window!

Freaking little jerks.

Ahh I'm sorry to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    It's such a shame. We just got back from trick or treating with the kids and they had an absolute ball. We only go to houses that are decorated. I don't know why a few have to ruin it for everyone else.
    Theres always some that will try and ruin it for everyone else, it will come down to their character and not Halloween itself.

For those genuinely interested in celebrating Halloween next year, maybe use the Irish greeting at the door, and say "Help the Halloween party"
    Its much more polite and less threatening than trick or treat.
    It was the whole point in going door to door, asking neighbours to put a treat in your bag for the party you were going to have when you got home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    I heard of someone mentioning tonight at a dinner, they will be giving out home made toffee ''onions''.. instead of apples.. LOL. imagine the suprise the person who bites them will get.
    Brilliant! And probably cheaper than apples too, win win, hehehe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    And when people do as you suggest and still get vandalised by little sods 'celebrating' their proud irish traditions, what then?

Thats the part that ****es me off.
    Are you saying those that did the vandalising were Irish?
    If so,
    I highly doubt everyone out celebrating Halloween was Irish, so the vandals were most likely Aussies!
    You'll get a**holes in every walk of life, those that were out to vandalise, were most likely set to do it from the get go, probably never even knocked on a door.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Smile View Post
    Are you saying those that did the vandalising were Irish?
    If so,
    I highly doubt everyone out celebrating Halloween was Irish, so the vandals were most likely Aussies!
    You'll get a**holes in every walk of life, those that were out to vandalise, were most likely set to do it from the get go, probably never even knocked on a door.
    Errr...lol..no, that's not what I was saying.