+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to cat-proof a cot or bassinet

We were worried too about this as we have two big fluffy (and very pushy) kitties but it never ended up being a problem. A couple of times I noticed our cats trying to step from bed to Moses basket (when DD1 was a newborn) but then thought better of it after bub stirred or the basket started rocking or both!! Once she was big enough to move to the cot in her own room they definitely weren't interested as by then she was much more active and they didn't like it when she moved in her sleep.

Now she's 11 months and crawling and pulling up on furniture, our biggest fears are that she's going to get scratched by one of them as she's always trying to "pat" them (screaming DATDAT! at the same time) but they generally keep their distance if they know what's good for them! She loves the cats, she gets more excited to see them than us!

Thanks
    Reviews

Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews

I was really worried about this too before DS was born but whilst he was in the bassinet in our room our cat just seemed fairly terrified of him. She loves jumping in his cot though and runs to sleep in there whenever she can but only when DS isn't in it.
    It just dropped further down my list of things to be worried about. Actually getting my now 4.5 month old to sleep was the real challenge!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How to cat-proof a cot or bassinet

Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    We bought a mozzie net from ikea that hangs from the ceiling.
    I am intrigued though as to why some people are saying these are unsafe?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Me too

Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough View Post
    I've heard you fill the cot with balloons before baby arrives and the cat will jump in once and once only.

Me + DH
    DS 2
    DD
    :-)
    and that would be pretty funny to see...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII, please excuse any errors!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Anyone with mossie nets - gave your cats ever tried to climb them? I'd like to opt for this option but worried about my cats climbing them! Also no idea why these would be unsafe for baby???

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't have a mozzie net up, but I would imagine if your cat doesn't climb your curtains, then it probably won't climb a net...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII, please excuse any errors!

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't have any curtains, Venetian blinds throughout the house so I can't use that to judge unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrstuilawa View Post
    Anyone with mossie nets - gave your cats ever tried to climb them? I'd like to opt for this option but worried about my cats climbing them! Also no idea why these would be unsafe for baby???

Our cats never tried to climb them. I think most cats would feel unsafe as it's a fairly thin material. Much thinner than curtains. We have the canopy style (no ceiling attachment required) and I can't see where they would be unsafe. Maybe once bub is older and is able to grab the netting & pull some of it into the cot but by the age they can do that you have usually removed it anyway

Thanks
    Reviews

We were also worried about the same thing.
    We leave our kids doors open at night because I don't like using a baby monitor.
    Before our baby was born we would find both our cats in the bassinet, and it worried us so we got a mozzie net for it which stopped them getting in.
    Once bubs was born we didn't use it much and they didn't want to be near him anyway. They didn't like him.

One of our cats sleeps on our pillows or near our faces at night and we were worried she might do it to bubs. But at about 7 months old we caught her in the cot with our baby and she was sleeping at his feet or by his side. It happens very rarely but she has never bothered him and we are comfortable with it now especially now he can stand up and grab them etc.

We worried about it more than we needed to

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hoping4asticky1 View Post
    Our cats never tried to climb them. I think most cats would feel unsafe as it's a fairly thin material. Much thinner than curtains. We have the canopy style (no ceiling attachment required) and I can't see where they would be unsafe. Maybe once bub is older and is able to grab the netting & pull some of it into the cot but by the age they can do that you have usually removed it anyway
    Excellent I hope my cats are smart enough to realise this lol

Re them being unsafe.. that's what I figured too, I am definitely going to get a net for when bub is young