+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! These ideas are great, I will try the water, foil, and maybe the canopy.
    Unfortunately the nursery door doesn't and will never be able to close fully - we asked a carpenter and even a new door won't fix it, so the cat will always be able to go in there at night. It is a weird design and hard to explain why it can't close.
    Don't worry Hollywood about the cat going out at night - we live in an apartment block so when he goes "out" it's actually to an enclosed courtyard on the first floor where his litter is but he can't actually get out to street level and catch any wildlife or get into fights. Hope that puts your mind at ease!
    And I will also try not to worry about it but he is nearly 7kg and I have horrible visions of him accidentally suffocating a baby because all he wants to do is cuddle. Also he can jump really high so he would be in a bassinet in one leap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My immediate thought was "put a baby in it". When we were expecting #1 we introduced a mat for the cat to sit on in the baby room. We spritzed her with water if she went on the change table but she got treats for being on the mat. I wouldn't use full size mozzie nets as they can be a hazard for baby. Our cat has never been a problem and it wasn't something we stressed about. She was already pretty mat trained though. On our bed and on the couch she has her own mat that gets washed etc as my DH is allergic to cats

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How to cat-proof a cot or bassinet

Is your hubby handy at all? Could he make something to go over the bassinette and cot? I don't think it would be too hard, but surely someone has invented something to do the job!? We are in a similar situation, I am not willing to suddenly banish my 2 lovely feline boys from the bedroom but I do have the option of baby in the nursery... My plan is to have the bassinette in the nursery during the day with that door shut. Do you have a study or another room that you could do the same? My bassinette is on wheels which helps.

Frankly, I am not worried about one of our cats- he'll be terrified of the baby. (In fact, he is the reason for my main worries because he is very stressy :-( ) The other cat is very outgoing and I think he will want to cuddle in the cot so I will be very careful.

My MIL wants the cats out of the house full stop which is not going to happen! Having a baby doesn't lessen how I feel about my cats!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How to cat-proof a cot or bassinet

We bought a net from the baby shop that fits over the cot. It worked brilliantly, it is structured so the cats can't sit on top of the net.

This time we are using a Bassinet also, I bought one that has a (breathable) hood that zips up.

But yeah, the cats weren't at all interested in sleeping in the cot or with DS.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (31-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

We bought a mozzie net from ikea that hangs from the ceiling.
    I am intrigued though as to why some people are saying these are unsafe?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    We bought a mozzie net from Baby Bunting that had bars to keep it up (like a tent) and ties on to the 4 corners of the cot. It has a semi-circle zip for access and reaches the floor. Our 2 cats were curious about the cot but were never able to get into it. Like you are thinking, we never restricted our cats access to anywhere in the house and found, for us, they were more accepting of the change.

We took our net off when DD was about 10 months and neither of the cats are interested in her cot.

Grebbeci - I'm not sure why people are saying they're unsafe. We never had any problem with ours. Our's didn't hang from the ceiling though so I'm not sure if there is meant to be a difference or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    just get the cot canopy like the previous posters mentioned.
    when my son was born 10yrs ago they had them in america but not australia.

and to be perfectly honest - when is the last time you ever heard of a cat suffocating a baby? i think it's a little bit of an urban legend to be honest. if baby is in your room at first you have no worries - just shut your bedroom door so the cat is outside. when bub is older and in their own bedroom use the canopy.

and don't let people tell you to get rid of the cat - it will be fine. our cat used to sleep in our bed all the time but once my son was born he didn't want to come near the baby!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Blixicat  (15-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How to cat-proof a cot or bassinet

Have you already got the bassinet? If not you can get ones with a built in zip up mozzie net.

For the cot get a babyhood cot canopy

Thanks
    Reviews

I've heard you fill the cot with balloons before baby arrives and the cat will jump in once and once only.

Me + DH
    DS 2
    DD
    :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We bought the valco Rico bassinette . Look it up. Has built in canopy that included net that zips up. Great for outside too. We got it to stop our boys throwing things on baby . Wish I had this for my first baby it's great.