+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Bloated & Water Retention

Hi ladies,
    I was hoping you may be able to offer some advice.
    I am 6 weeks preg. No MS or nausea really.
    I have however, had shocking cramps (no bleeding) - I think the cramps may be more related to my bowel though (a little constipated - sorry TMI!)
    I have been feeling really bloated also. Got on the scales this morning at seemed to have gained nearly 1kg since last week!
    I am thinking this is the same kind of fluid retention that comes with bloating right before AF arrives as I find it hard to believe I have gained a kg (I have not stopped exercising nor changed my eating!)
    Do you think this is what it could be?
    I am feeling quite deflated as for the last 4 weeks I have been losing weight (have been trying to get my weight down a little)
    I feel like this is a setback - or could it just be a bad time to get on the scales...
    Thanks for your replies!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bloated & Water Retention

It's normal. The bloating actually comes from your bowels. Pregnancy makes your digestive system slow down and get sluggish resulting in bloating.

Make sure you drink plenty of water and eat good foods to keep things moving as much as possible to minimise bloating

Also, pregnancy is not a time to be trying to lose weight, unless you are severely overweight and doing it under the guidance of a doctor. Be kind to yourself you've got a little bubba in there to think about now.
    Last edited by felicia81; 31-10-2012 at 08:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by felicia81 View Post
    It's normal. The bloating actually comes from your bowels. Pregnancy makes your digestive system slow down and get sluggish resulting in bloating.

Make sure you drink plenty of water and eat good foods to keep things moving as much as possible to minimise bloating

Also, pregnancy is not a time to be trying to lose weight, unless you are severely overweight and doing it under the guidance of a doctor. Be kind to yourself you've got a little bubba in there to think about now.

Thank you. Trying to drink lots of water - but feeling full all the time!
    And yes - I agree. I started my "better eating & more exercise regime" before I knew I was preg. I was hoping to keep my weight down (esp in the 1st tri).

I was just disappointed that I had gone up this morning - but I guess the bloating & constipation accounts for that, so I won't get too worried.
    Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't worry, I think it's perfectly normal. I am getting a lot of tummy bloating - but is definitely bloat, not a baby, as I am only 7 weeks. I am planning not to weigh myself at all during the first trimester - maybe you could try that too? It's one less thing to worry about and unless your dr is worried about your weight, I say try to relax about it and just eat healthily and exercise and you'll be fine.
    I have this great Clarins oil - "Anti Eau" that is an anti-water retention oil. I used to use it when I was bloated from my period and it's brilliant. You apply it from ankles to waist after a shower, then go to bed, and in the morning you feel nice and light. It gets rid of that heavy legs feeling.
    The website says it is safe for pregnancy so if you're feeling swollen and uncomfortable, especially in the legs, I definitely recommend it!