+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie's No1 Fan View Post
    You may have an admission that only lasts one night, or be able to opt for a private home birth with a private midwife. You'd likely be out of pocket only a few thousand if there were no complication.

But your wife is right too. The potential for costs to blow out is huge since you have no medicare and it seems no insurance. A transfer to hospital could be very very costly. The funds will not give much on the waiting periods either. Traditionally only a week or two. Can I ask when the 12months is up vs due date?

The prices that were quoted to you sound like very basic overnight charges. If your wife suffers complications the fees may be higher. If your baby needs to be admitted to special care... well the prices truly reflect the high level of care and precision needed. It makes your wifes overnight charge look like spare change.

To be honest if you're not able to get continuity/coverage for the birth I wouldn't want to be personally paying the account here in Australia.
    hmm i assumed the baby is covered ? the waiting period is till 21 may 2013 and the due date is 21 April 2012

Thanks
    Reviews
    the baby was born yesterday, it was a C section, they tried an induced labor for 24 hours and it did not work, then my wife decided that there is no need for waiting more, the C section operation was like a surreal experience, the midwives and the doctors are simply amazing.

kudos for Australia medical care.

thanks again for KEMH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Congratulations! Fingers crossed the bill isn't too high!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am on a Pro Visa 457 and am due in Feb 2014 with our first. We are also looking into the details of private vs public and then there is the OBGYN we have to find and then hospital too! Anyone have any advice on where to start.
    I have my first docs appointment on Monday and I'm sure that we will be a good start but not being Aussie and coming from a country with only public care makes this experience slightly more confusing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Cmak, You should contact your PHI to see how you are covered and at which hospitals.

Based on this, do your research on these hospitals then if you choose a private one, find a obstetrician that delivers there or if public ask them the process (MW care, shared care, etc)

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi cmack

We had our first child in 2011 and were on a 457 at the time. We had PHI but it did not cover obstetrics so we went public. This was fully covered because our home country (UK) has a reciprocal agreement with Australia.

I had DD at the birth centre at RPA Sydney and the care we received was amazing.

Does your home country have a reciprocal agreement?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Canadian having baby in Aus

Thanks to everyone for your guidance, I really appreciate it. It is going to be tricky going through this without our family nearby but we are really excited.

Everything is sorted. We are fully covered whatever we decide to do so that is all fine, but now we have to decide if we will travel to Sydney for birth in a private hospital or stay in Bowral and birth at public hospital.

Any thoughts or preferences on this?

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My family and I are Permanent Residents but have only been here 18 months. I'm 5wks PG. We have Medicare coverage but have no idea how to access services. Can anyone provide any details on the process of getting support here in Australia? Such as, do I need to have an OB? What doctor can I see for check ups? Any recommendation for Adelaide area will be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AUnewbie View Post
    My family and I are Permanent Residents but have only been here 18 months. I'm 5wks PG. We have Medicare coverage but have no idea how to access services. Can anyone provide any details on the process of getting support here in Australia? Such as, do I need to have an OB? What doctor can I see for check ups? Any recommendation for Adelaide area will be very much appreciated.
    Go to your local GP and ask for a referral to the hospital.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

AUnewbie  (04-08-2013)