+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default pregnant without coverage

We are here in Australia since 3 months on a 457 visa with a medibank coverage, ok my wife is 17 weeks pregnant, we did not know about the waiting period, my wife is still undecided if she should have the delivery here or go back to our country and have the child born with the family surrounding her.
    We understand that the cost can easily reach 10 000 dollars, but what concern us, if god forbid some complication happen and the need for special care for the baby then the cost will escalate.
    My question is there in kind of private service where you pay a lump sum in advance ?

thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: pregnant without coverage

I'm not sure exactly how your situation works. When you go to the dr. for any old appointment are you covered by medicare? Or are you not covered by medicare because you're not australian citizens?

If you are covered by medicare then not having private health cover won't make much of a difference. I don't have private cover and the only thing I'm concerned about is not having a private room, but that's not a guarantee when you are private anyway...

Sorry I can't be of more help. hopefully someone else will have more info

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII, please excuse any errors!

Thanks
    Reviews
    i don't have medicaire as i am not a resident here and i don't come from a country with mutual agreement with australia, all we have is a private insurance, but there is the 12 month waiting period that we did not observe,

so basically my wife is about to deliver without any medical insurance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I just googled a bit, and is it correct that you need to have private health in place on this visa??

Double check your status. Often the criteria is you need to be covered for a year before your wife gives birth. So for eg if you had been here for 6 months, and she is 3 months pregnant, by the time she gave birth in 6 more months, you would be covered.
    It may be worth ringing around up see if there are any phi you could swap to who have a lesser wait.

Thanks
    Reviews

To note also - you also need to swap to family cover before the birth of your child. I can't remember how long before the actual birth date you have.
    Basically, if bub is born not under phi then you will pay if he/she needs to be admitted to nicu, and bub has to serve waiting periods. If you change to family, it's all included, with no waiting periods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    if you are covered by medicare then having a baby will be covered by this system (even if baby goes to special care) howeverif you want to go private then you will have to pay for everything including babys treatment if needs be. it is not possible to pay a lump sum as the amount changes from person to person depending on the amount of care needed. private care will cost alot without health cover.

Thanks
    Reviews

Visa 457 does not include Medicare.

Thanks
    Reviews

In this situation I would enquire about private health in a public hospital. You may be able to come to an arrangement regarding payments. You will get the same level of care, but in a public hospital, and a much less cost.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Can you check with your company and apply for Permanent Residency through them?

As soon as you lodged the application you are covered by medicare.
    Also if you do get PR approved before the birth, the baby is born Australian! bonus
    Last edited by ExcuseMyFrench; 30-10-2012 at 23:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks very much for the replies, i checked with a public hospital here in Perth, Clinic Visits = $189.00 per visit / Inpatient Stay = $1,660.00 per night
    that's fine if she stayed only 2 or 3 days , the risk is if something happen then the cost will be out of reach
    I have to work at least 2 years before I can apply for a PR.