+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default A little help with newborns routine

My little girl is just over 4 weeks old and although I know she is to young to be in a routine I am actually just wondering what a normal day consists off.

She is breastfed pretty much every 3 hours at night but through the day she is all over the place, sometimes I feel like I'm feeding her every hour come the afternoon, she's very unsettled when I try and get her to sleep through the day so I'm trying to get an idea or a little routine in my head so I know what to do.

She is my first and as she is becoming more alert the older she gets I am not sure how many naps (how long), how many and how long play time should be for her etc should be throughout the day.

Any advise would be appreciated

2. The Following User Says Thank You to missmya84 For This Useful Post:

angelface07  (01-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

From birth to twelve weeks just go with flow in regards to feeding. It's important you set your supply up well. Babies cluster feed lots in the afternoon/evening. This is normal and just chill out on the couch with the tv remote. Also babies find their own pattern around 6-8wks.

If you need some pattern to your days start first with a bedtime routine. Bath/massage/boob/bed.

At that age dd1 was feeding 1-2hrly during the day and dd2 2-3hrly. I do feed-play-feed-sleep. Day sleeps in pram/carrier cos it's easier to resettle

Good luck and enjoy the cuddles

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

missmya84  (30-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Congratulations!

My girl is now 15 weeks but i went through the same uncertainty. I basically just followed her lead. If she wanted to feed, i fed her. If she wanted to sleep, she slept. I did try to implement a couple of routines though. She was a spewy baby and could eat then play so we woke up, had a play (in the bouncer or tummy time mat usually for ten-fifteen minutes), wrap, feed, sleep. She would only sleep for about 30-60mins at a time. She was (and still is) a catnapper. As long as your bub is happy and healthy you basically just have to go with the flow.

Another routine was bed time. We'd have half a bottle, warm bath, wrap, rest of the bottle in a dark quiet room then bed. She is now 15 weeks and basically sleeping through. Once we have our night time bath she knows its time for a big sleep. She also eats more in the afternoons which i think helps her sleep through as her tummy is nice and full.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pilbarablossom For This Useful Post:

missmya84  (30-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree just go with the flow, and relax... They find their own routine by 6/8 weeks.
    I found that going for a walk when her unsettle time came was a good distraction and she would sleep better after, even just a stroll around the yard just to distract bub a little :-)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

missmya84  (30-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply

What's a good time for bath? I normally bath at 630-7pm then feed/burp and she has a sleep till about 930ish.
    Should I be bathing her earlier or later?
    I haven't done any massage yet as she is always so hungry when she wakes so once i bath her i have to dress her quickly as she is a cranky pants and just wants boob lol

Would you wake your bub if he/she is asleep when her bath time is due or would you just bath later if she sleeps through?

Do you know roughly how long their play time is at that age? I'm finding she gets over tried through the day and finding it hard to get her to sleep so I'm not sure if she is awake to long.

Sorry about all the questions

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: A little help with newborns routine

I would never wake her for a bath. About 7-730 works for us.

At that age about 10-15mins of play is usually enough. Just watch for her tired signs - uncontrollable arm and leg movements, red around the eyes etc.

Sounds like youre doing a great job

Sent from my GT-I9210T using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pilbarablossom For This Useful Post:

missmya84  (30-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations!

At that age, 1 hour awake time (including feeds, nappy change) is about all they can handle - defiinately no more than an hour and a half.

I find our day is all over the place still at 10 weeks, but I have put her to bed at 7pm since about 4 weeks. I find to get her down easily at 7, she needs to have a sleep somewhere between 4:30 and 5:45 so she's not overtired by 7. Otherwise she's grizzly and a nightmare to put down.

Don't expect too much of a routine from a 4 week old - they are still finding their way .

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to put DD to sleep at 9ish but it turned out she prefers 7ish, she used to get overtired and I would have to soothe her to sleep, now we do play at 6is and then change cuddles feed and she usually falls asleep easily like that. Just keep trying you'll get to know what works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    I used to put DD to sleep at 9ish but it turned out she prefers 7ish, she used to get overtired and I would have to soothe her to sleep, now we do play at 6is and then change cuddles feed and she usually falls asleep easily like that. Just keep trying you'll get to know what works.
    Same for us. Sometimes 6.30!

Thanks
    Reviews

If you are keen on a schedule Tizzie Hall's Save our Sleep book is a great one! She says you can start getting a baby onto a schedule from 4 weeks. It is possible but not common.

There are different schools of thought about schedules in newborns, whether its good for supply if you are BF, whether babies get the nutrition they need etc.

It is up to you though if you choose to follow parent led parenting or child led parenting, you might find a mixture of both may work for you and your bub. Give different things a go and see what suits your family.