+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Increasing milk supply

My baby is 3 weeks old and I've been bottle feeding her due to me starting work next week (i get to take her to work with me though, which is great!).
    I give her formula and breastmilk but I was hoping to get to a point where I would be only expressing and giving her only breast milk.

My milk supply has been decreasing considerably. I used to be able to express 70ml 2 weeks ago.. now its more like 20ml and I don't know what to do... I'm finding myself using more and more formula because I don't get enough milk when I'm expressing.

I am expressing 10 minutes each breast though I would say after a minute I get a strong let down that lasts 4 minutes and then I get nothing for the remaining 5 minutes. I used to get 10 minutes of milk coming out.. now its reduced to 5 minutes.

Because my milk supply is decreasing its becoming frustrating to pump.. I pump and pump and sometimes nothing will come out!
    Since last weekend I stopped pumping as much as I used to, its not what I wanted, I'm just frustrated to be pumping and have nothing.

So my question is.. if I increase my pumping sessions to every 2 hrs (I'm doing it every 4 hrs even longer lately as I'm frustrated).. even if nothing comes out.. would that increase my milk supply? how long would i have to wait to notice a difference?

what else can I do to increase my supply?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Hi, ask your doctor about Domperidone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At the health food store you can buy a breast feeding supplement that has blessed thistle & fenugreek, not cheap but helps. Also the lactation cookies are great, and make a huge difference (and they are yummy!)
    recipe is on bubhub somewhere - in the breast feeding section

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Have you read this thread? http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...ng-Your-Supply
    Lots of good information in there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you let bb latch on n nurse? That's the best way.

Thanks
    Reviews

I had supply issues at the beginning and was taking motillium (prescription med) and fenugreek and pumping for ten minutes after each feed, feeding every two hours. Now I have no issues and bub is completely breast fed and I no longer have to take anything. If you are going to take fenugreek you have to take a lot, until your sweat starts to smell like maple syrup. The website kellymom is really good and has heaps of info too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Will be good if your bub nurse. I let mine nurse via Medela SNS cos without that he will comfort suck only. I Aso pump as often as poss. Am on fenugreek/blessed thistle and motilium. I notice I am having more these two days though still cannot catch up with formula yet. So I think bubs best.