+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Early Entry - Options for kids with birthdays after the enrolment cut off date

I have just found out about the 30 June cut off date (in WA) for enrollment into Kindy, Pre-primary etc. This means that although my girls are born 15 months apart, they will be two years apart in school since our eldest is born in June and our youngest has a September birthday.

I'm not saying that our youngest kid is a genius, but I was wondering what options were available to enable early entry for kids who are developmentally ready to begin school but do not make the cut off date? I appreciate that once in school enrichment and accelaration options are available, but I don't think that it makes sense to exclude a child from starting school if they are ready to do so. It would just be nice to know alternative avenues to school entry are available if this starting school turns out to be the best option for our daughter.

I'd appreciate any advice y'all could offer
    Thanx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think she'd be able to get early entry. Usually they can if their birthdate is close to the cut off but september is over 2 months past the cut off so not close at all. I think they just have to wait (in qld they do anyway). How old is your child now??? You could look into 3/4 year old kindy depending how old they are but that will be the same and there will be cutoff's.

Cutoff's do suck but they are there for a reason and lots of kids would be ready to start but have to wait because of the cutoff but if they made exceptions for some then everyone would be up in arms and then where do they make the cut off..... September then the people with kids born in october (like one of mine) would say but my child is so close why can't they start. Get what I mean??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think the cut off dates are pretty inflexible. You could look at sending her to a Montesorri school or something similar which will take them earlier.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gizmoduckus For This Useful Post:

Workingmummaof2  (31-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Early Entry - Options for kids with birthdays after the enrolment cut off date

My kids are May and July, both eligible to start school in NSW the year they turn 5, but I will be holding them both back until the year they are turning 6.

I don't understand the rush. A child might be ready academically, but that is not the only thing to consider. September is way too young. I'm a primary school teacher, and can definitely notice the difference in maturity, socially and emotionally of the younger students.

Hopefully when the national curriculum comes in all over the country, each state has a cut off of 30th April, like Victoria does.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

River Song  (30-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can't imagine sending a fairly newly 4yo off to school. I know schools can be a bit flexible about starting kids later, but I don't imagine they'd take them so early.

My two start a month or so before they turn 6.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workingmummaof2 View Post
    I have just found out about the 30 June cut off date (in WA) for enrollment into Kindy, Pre-primary etc. This means that although my girls are born 15 months apart, they will be two years apart in school since our eldest is born in June and our youngest has a September birthday.

I'm not saying that our youngest kid is a genius, but I was wondering what options were available to enable early entry for kids who are developmentally ready to begin school but do not make the cut off date?
    My girls are 15 months apart too and when miss 6 started prep, miss 4 was her equal when it came to grasping concepts, knowledge of shapes, sounds etc etc but nowhere near her equal socially or emotionally. She probably would have been ok (maybe) and held her own if she had started early but she'll be off to school next year and she is now ready in every way.
    They are little for such a very short time, I really am a fan of letting them have their early childhood because once they do start school, they seem to grow up so fast. Enjoy with her that bit of extra time together

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    My kids are May and July, both eligible to start school in NSW the year they turn 5, but I will be holding them both back until the year they are turning 6.

I don't understand the rush. A child might be ready academically, but that is not the only thing to consider. September is way too young. I'm a primary school teacher, and can definitely notice the difference in maturity, socially and emotionally of the younger students.

Hopefully when the national curriculum comes in all over the country, each state has a cut off of 30th April, like Victoria does.
    I agree with this. And likewise, I have actually held my kids back a year, even though they were born before the cut off.
    Even if the child is a genius, i don't think there is any reason to start school as a early four year old. You can do stuff at home to stimulate them.
    my reception girl is doing year two work, but I'm not going to push her up a year, the school can extend her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a pp teacher in wa and have never seen a child let into the year above even if a day over cut off. Enjoy the extra time with her!
    I personally would prefer my child be older than one of the youngest but obviously all children are different.
    Sometimes holding back a child or going up a year level seems like a good idea when the children are young but as they get older, their peers are more aware of ages and birthdays etc. Being mature now also does not mean they will be mature in year 12!
    Last edited by acerbaby; 30-10-2012 at 20:12. Reason: Spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Think about it this way too. If she is let in early she will be younger than everyone in the class. She will be the last to get her license and the last to be able to go out with her friends. If she waits, she will be one of the older ones in the class and wont feel as left behind by her peers.

Everyone looks at academics when they think of school readiness but as the pre-school teacher of a bunch of kids about to go to school, the ones I am most concerned about are just not socially and emotionally ready. They can learn many many things but if they dont feel comfortable and confident, they will have a lot of trouble learning anything at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My daughter is quite advanced too, and her birthday was July 25th so she only just didn't get in the year earlier.

Schools around here would not accept her any earlier than as per their guidelines. Once she was in Prep though, her principal and prep teacher wanted to move her up to Grade 1. The school's child psych said no, however, as he believed it'd be bad socially and would only risk that if the child was at a Mensa level of intelligence.

I personally think the guidelines are nonsense and leway should be made for children who would benefit from starting earlier or later (a year either way).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post: