+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Stubborn 3 year old

Ok I have this problem. Need some advice.
    I live a minute walk from my son school so the kids ride their scooters.
    I have a 6,4,3 and 18 month old.
    The older two know to walk their scooters across the lollipop lady. I push the pram but my 3 year old rides her scooter across the road. Everyday I tell her and the lollipop lady tells her to walk. I tried explaining, showing, threats for her to walk. But no she jumps on and rides. I don't mind but today she had a go at me because its safety and road rules for her to walk. Fair enough I understand. So this afternoon I took the scooter from her and talk to her to walk. Well she put in the biggest tantrum. Screaming and yelling. She drops to ground and I'm carrying her, the scooter and pushing the pram. Traffic stopped for two minutes while I struggled with her and my other two were waiting on the other side.
    Last week I took her scooter away for this behavior and put her in the pram but was screaming the whole time for scooter. I again tried to reason but I can't get through to her.
    I don't mind her riding her scooter across the crossing cause its not a fight. She doesn't ride fast and it's at my walking pace.
    What should I do. It's a battle every morning and afternoon. I've tried everything.
    It's bad. She screaming and I'm dragging her across the road in school traffic. Thats not exactly safe cause shes a runner. Help!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Stubborn 3 year old

Obviously the lollipop lady doesn't have kids. I don't think too many attendants would have that much of a problem with a "toddler" using a scooter. bigger kids maybe. But not a 3 year old.

No advice really. But personally I would continue doing what you are doing and hope eventually she will copy the big kids as little ones do, and ignore the lollipop lady. Or tell her she is welcome to look after her while you do the school run.

If she had any decency she would be sympathetic with you.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree this lollipop lady is being a bit much expecially if she sees what the end result is. I would be inclined to just let it go but on the other hand now it's become a power struggle with you and your 3 year old. If you give in now she'll know forever that all she has to do to get her way is to throw a tantrum big enough.
    I would take the scooter away for a while till she understands it's a privilege and that it needs to be riden with caution, don't even pull it out as you head out. That's just me... I don't have a 3 yr old tho... OR could you walk a different way and avoid the lollipop lady?

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Hmm, I don't think it's ok to let your DD to disobey road rules just because she's 3. I'm pretty sure bikes and scooters MUST dismount at crossings. My 2.5 year old knows he has to walk. I would take away her scooting privileges, she can walk or go in the pusher.

ETA if she's a runner there's no way in hell i'd let her cross without holding my hand anyway.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 30-10-2012 at 16:45.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

kriista  (30-10-2012),River Song  (30-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Hmm, I don't think it's ok to let your DD to disobey road rules just because she's 3. I'm pretty sure bikes and scooters MUST dismount at crossings. My 2.5 year old knows he has to walk. I would take away her scooting privileges, she can walk or go in the pusher.

ETA if she's a runner there's no way in hell i'd let her cross without holding my hand anyway.

I agree with this. If DS did it I would tell him he's not allowed to ride the scooter to/from the school until he is ready to listen and behave.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Don't take the scooter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I agree with the 3 above posts. Your 3 year old needs to obey the rules and start from an early age. It is for there own safety just like no running, riding etc..

Thanks
    Reviews

Ok but I have already taken the scooter away for one week and that was hell to. She was climbing out of her pram and fighting me. She walks and has tantrums and I have to carry her screaming while pushing the pram. So yeah I've taken the scooter away.
    She is awesome doing the school run on her scooter. We cross two streets where she stops, looks left and right and waits for me to say cross. My older kids tell her to walk across the crossing but for some reason she doesn't get it. I've also tried the harness thing but she takes it off or sits on the ground.
    It's just the crossing she's a nightmare.
    Taking the scooter away cause another problem of her wanting the scooter. So at one point I should choose my battle and its the crossing. I think taking the scooter away is putting a bandaid on the problem of her not listening.
    It's so frustrating cause I've tried really hard.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Maybe take her on practice runs not at school time. Let her scoot to a crossing and if she doesn't hop off, just turn around and take her home. I think she's certainly old enough to understand she can't scoot across the road. Unfortunately it's just one of those things where you can't just let it go, she really *has* to hop off it.