+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sterile water injections

Hi all

I gave birth to my beautiful little boy last week and just wanted to share my experience with sterile water injections in case it helps anyone.

My ultimate labour was going to be drug free with a healthy baby at the end. However with a low pain threshold I realistically knew this was unlikely but wanted to minimise the effects on my baby from anything I did take.

So I went in there ok with using the gas if I needed it and had done some research on sterile water injections but was hesitant and sceptical if they would work or not. I mean how can four 0.1ml injections of water barely under the skin stop pain!

I had excruciating back pain because it was discovered when I arrived at the hospital he was posterior. After a couple hours I just couldn't handle the pain in my back anymore and the gas just wasn't helping.

My midwife knew I ideally didn't want to go down the pethedine injection or the epidural (not that this would have been an option in the end as I had progressed too quickly) so asked me if I wanted to try the injections.

I was very anxious about this as I had read the pain from them was not pleasant but decided to try.

The pain is described as that of a wasp sting. Not to scare anyone out of it but it felt like wasps on steroids. The actual injections were very painful. I think I was pretty much screaming from the pain.

But by the time they had finished (which is only a minute really) I was kind of sobbing saying it hurts. They told me its ok by the next contraction the pain would be better. However the back pain was already completely gone, it was the injections that were still stinging. But as they said by the next contraction the stinging had also gone.

Hubby said my expression changed completely and I finally was able to relax and focus on the contractions. I honestly believe without them my labour would have been much longer and I would have needed the drugs I so desperately didn't want.

My point to this post is not to say there is anything against having the drugs, as that is each individuals choice. It is simply to give my personal experience on an alternative option that if I do have another baby and have back pain again I would definitely use again.

Hope this helps someone.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

bokkie_wotwot  (30-10-2012),ElizaDoLittle  (30-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sterile water injections

Thanks for the insight. I had a posterior (induced, unfortunately) labour and wish I had been offered this as an option. I'll be doing everything I can to try and avoid another posterior baby but if it happens again I might be giving this a go. Congrats on the birth of your son.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No problems future mama.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Sterile water injections

Thanks for this post. I get really bad back pain when in labour and also aim for drug free. I used a birthcentre for the last two and am for this one and have been trying to decide about the water injections. It's the pain of them that puts me off, so was great to hear your experience. I'm thinking yes at this stage but still feeling nervous about it. How far into labour did u use them? My labours generally start in my back and just get worse.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    Thanks for this post. I get really bad back pain when in labour and also aim for drug free. I used a birthcentre for the last two and am for this one and have been trying to decide about the water injections. It's the pain of them that puts me off, so was great to hear your experience. I'm thinking yes at this stage but still feeling nervous about it. How far into labour did u use them? My labours generally start in my back and just get worse.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub
    I was only in active labour for 2.5 hours so probably about halfway through that I had them.

My back pain had been bad from 9pm and active labour was started at 2.30am but I had managed at home until then with just heat packs. Once I was examined at the hospital I spent my time in the shower leaning over a ball with the hot water on my back.

I too was very nervous about the pain of the injections hence why I didn't have them straight away. In hindsight knowing how quickly and completely they relieved my pain I would have got them immediately upon arriving to the hospital.

honestly the pain of the injections was terrible, but the pain from them was gone within a minute or so.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.