+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Customer Service declining due to online shopping?

Crappy customer service is what is driving the online sales.
    Years ago, before the internet, you went into a store and you were treated like royalty. You were there to spend money and the sales staff aimed to make it a great experience for you, so that you would return.
    Then the internet came about. Yes, some customers ditched the stores in favour of shopping online, but the majority were still skittish about buying online and would still visit a store. In this period it seems there was a shift in the service offered in stores, sort of a "if you don't like my prices then f%&$ off and buy online". It is now at a point where unless you actually get great customer service you are more likely to shop online. And the retailers need to see this quickly, because otherwise they are going to lose all their customers.

Sent from my U8860 using BubHub

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I feel for the local shops here too ... they are suffering, but they aren't helping themselves with crappy service, it pushes people away. If it is only a little more costly to buy local I'll still buy local as you've got a place to go if there are issues ... but if there are hundreds of dollars involved I'll buy online.

ETA: When I say buy online it doesn't mean overseas ... it means another store, usually within Australia - just not local.

Our local businesses aren't keeping up with the times ... it is so hard to find a local business that even has an online presence. They want us to support local, but sometimes it is so hard.
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 30-10-2012 at 12:40. Reason: added more info.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Customer Service declining due to online shopping?

Double post
    Last edited by mrsdj1234; 30-10-2012 at 12:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaliyahsmummy View Post
    You can start to blame it on that. Add to that most small retailers don't import directly from overseas, you need to take in to account Australian wholesales cut. Add to that, council rates, our council announced plans to up commercial rates by 45%!! after the outcry frim small retailers they setteled for a reasonable 35% rise for this financial year!! Its insane! The system on the whole needs to be overhauled. If its not, eventually it will only be the 'big boys' left. Then when someone needs to dash out and grab something to wear straight away they won't have a selection to choose from. Not arguing, I buy from overseas sometimes myself, I just think sometimes people miss the bigger picture
    I'm sure there is a lot more to it. I don't work in retail so wouldn't know anymore than what I read and am not sure the retailers are getting their message across very well. I completely agree with you in relation to small retailers - I used to live on Brunswick St in Melbourne and loved being able to stroll down and pick up something new on a whim. I think it will be very depressing if we lose that. I don't know the answer to be honest, but in this ecomony most people aren't going to pay more than double for something they can get easily from o/s.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Customer Service declining due to online shopping?

I don't know about customer service, I'm actually a shopper who would rather not be bothered by someone asking if I need a hand. I will find someone if I need help. I shop online for convenience more than anything else.

Thanks
    Reviews

I work in retail and we have 150+ stores in Aus and an online store. Sure people love a bargain and online definitely have great deals, but most customers love the service they get face to face. I still give the same level of customer service even if they tell me they are going to buy it online... They will definitely come back again if they enjoy the experience. I personally like to try things on first, before I purchase, so do very little online shopping.
    I do feel for some of the smaller retailers battling it out with overseas online stores but a lot of them have their own bad customer service skills to blame for poor customer return rates.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I was actually going into an Optomitrist to do this last week
    - try on frames and write down the product number so I could get them from the USA but the young assistant was so helpful and nice and offered me a discount anyway I bought them
    Off him!
    I think the problem sometimes is that small businesses feel defeated ( even big business - Myer is shocking with customer service) when in theory I beleive you can by offering great service, rewards and a variety of products ( at competitive prices) still make money - we have a local butcher, organic shop and home wares shop in our suburb who are just raking in the money because they go above and beyond and have great products and service
    I still would love to see commission based sales staff here like they do in the USA, their service is unreal

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Mod-RaryGirl  (30-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RaryGirl View Post
    I feel for the local shops here too ... they are suffering, but they aren't helping themselves with crappy service, it pushes people away. If it is only a little more costly to buy local I'll still buy local as you've got a place to go if there are issues ... but if there are hundreds of dollars involved I'll buy online.ETA: When I say buy online it doesn't mean overseas ... it means another store, usually within Australia - just not local. Our local businesses aren't keeping up with the times ... it is so hard to find a local business that even has an online presence. They want us to support local, but sometimes it is so hard.
    I agree 100% no excuses for crappy service, if anything businesses should go above and beyond to show people a level of service they miss out by shopping online (either local or overseas)I'm currently overhauling our online presence, it's not up to scratch and the small presence we do have is run un-professionally. I'm up against it though many of our big wholesales (and I'm looking from a small retailers perspective) won't even let me put their logo on fb or a website to show the stock we have! Oh god I sound like my grandfather, I get a lecture on this topic every week or so haha

10. The Following User Says Thank You to F&A For This Useful Post:

Mod-RaryGirl  (30-10-2012)