+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Customer Service declining due to online shopping?

My DH is terrible with his gift selection ... he leaves it to the day before and as we live in a regional town the choice isn't that huge.

We don't have money waste on stuff I dont need, so this year I thought I would select a few things, spell out where you could get them and how much.

Anyway ... I was in our local Bright Eyes, found a couple of pairs of sunglasses I liked, asked if they could get them in a particular lens colour and asked if he could write the price on the brochure for me. I was going to hand it to DH to make life easy for him. Store Owner said 'No as you'll shop online. I'm sure you are smart enough to remember the price"

It's sad that customer service is so crappy for fear of loosing a sale.
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 30-10-2012 at 11:27. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That's pretty sad.

Had he provided friendly outstanding service there is every chance the customer would deal with the store and not try to source the item cheaper online.

I do feel sorry for retailers to some degree, as this must happen to them all the time. But he would have been better off just giving you the price with the possibility of securing sale and a return customer, rather than snapping and accusing you plotting to shop online!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Naw, sounds like someone needs some knitting done for them, Rary!!

I think his attitude was very poor, and I agree with Degrassi- even if there was every chance you would shop online, you would probably be more inclined to shop and support local if he had of been outstanding in his care and help. Snapping at you like that would probably be the nail in the coffin for making you go and shop online

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The guy sounds like an idiot. I'm always writing prices/model numbers down for customers, sure they might go else where but if I was rude they would 100% shop somewhere else!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to F&A For This Useful Post:

Mod-RaryGirl  (30-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    See the thing is I know he is more expensive but I've always bought all our sunglasses from them for a couple of reasons - great customer service (female sales team usually - he's the store owner), support local and I like to try them on before I buy.

Sigh ... Noms please get those knitting needles working for me ... it's been a crappy day A little old man nearly ran me over when I went to cross the road after leaving the shops - I was even on the pedestrian crossing at the time.
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 30-10-2012 at 12:18. Reason: typo fixed

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I sort of feel sorry for him. He's probably tried providing excellent customer service, but most people are really just out to save money. It must be so tough being a small business owner these days. i know personally our local high street is probably at least 70% food and service outlets (cafes, take aways, salons, gym, optometrist etc) because businesses selling goods just can't survive. We've lost 2 dress shops, a toy shop, the newsagent, and a gift shop in the past few years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Customer Service declining due to online shopping?

Quote Originally Posted by RaryGirl View Post
    I was even on the pediatrician crossing at the time.
    Hehe. What a foul attitude for him to have!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I do feel sorry for him and do think it must be a tough time in retail. However it should be a sign for business' to get smarter with the way they do things. He should've nicely said that he couldn't help with that because so many people use this to turn to the internet but he could write down the model numbers etc in the diary so your husband just needed to ring to get the details ... or something along those lines!
    This would have made much more sense. TBH I do this all the time - I do as much research as I can then I buy online. I fell in love with a dress retailing for $450 here and I got it from the US (no postage) for $105 (on sale). There are shops in Melbourne that sell jeans brands where no one actually buys them but gets the girl to write down the brand details so they can get them o/s much cheaper. It happens a lot.

I would never waste a person's time asking for information or to try stuff on and then do the dirty on them - but certainly if I see something in a shop or online I always try and get it cheaper overseas. Why pay $300 for something when it costs $165 from the US? You can't blame all that on rent, wages and GST.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagrid View Post
    Hehe. What a foul attitude for him to have!!
    Typo fixed

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-RaryGirl For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (30-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    This would have made much more sense. TBH I do this all the time - I do as much research as I can then I buy online. I fell in love with a dress retailing for $450 here and I got it from the US (no postage) for $105 (on sale). There are shops in Melbourne that sell jeans brands where no one actually buys them but gets the girl to write down the brand details so they can get them o/s much cheaper. It happens a lot. I would never waste a person's time asking for information or to try stuff on and then do the dirty on them - but certainly if I see something in a shop or online I always try and get it cheaper overseas. Why pay $300 for something when it costs $165 from the US? You can't blame all that on rent, wages and GST.
    You can start to blame it on that. Add to that most small retailers don't import directly from overseas, you need to take in to account Australian wholesales cut. Add to that, council rates, our council announced plans to up commercial rates by 45%!! after the outcry frim small retailers they setteled for a reasonable 35% rise for this financial year!! Its insane! The system on the whole needs to be overhauled. If its not, eventually it will only be the 'big boys' left. Then when someone needs to dash out and grab something to wear straight away they won't have a selection to choose from. Not arguing, I buy from overseas sometimes myself, I just think sometimes people miss the bigger picture
    Last edited by F&A; 30-10-2012 at 12:26.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to F&A For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (30-10-2012)