+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What's the best formula for 7mth old who is mixed fed? Suggestions please

My DD was solely BF until about mths, but now my milk is getting low & I only have enough for 3-4 feeds a day. So were doing 1-2 FFs a day.

I've been using S26 original stage 2 for the last 2 weeks but I'm not sure its right for her. She is doing a lot of poo, one or two a day. Their really stinky too! Lots of grunting, but she's not constipated as their consistency of thick paste, but its obviously hard work for her. She's a bit disinterested in her solid food as well, but that might be just a thing & not related.

I've also heard of Karicare and Bellamys.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Should I try switching to S26 newborn?

Which formula has worked well for your mixed fed bub?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We had success with Nan Pro 2.

DS was fed breastmilk (mostly EBM) and this was the only formula he would eventually drink (we had to mix it with the EBM at first).

He turned his nose up at a few of the other brands, wouldn't touch them.

All babies are different though, you may need to trial a few before you find the right one. Quite a few mums rate goat formula highly, could be worth a try?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What's the best formula for 7mth old who is mixed fed? Suggestions please

yep was going to say Nan Pro apparently its the closest to breast milk??

Sent from my GT-S5570 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default What's the best formula for 7mth old who is mixed fed? Suggestions please

Karicare Goat was brilliant for us, ( easier to digest than cows milk based formula) never noticed anything different as i was mix feeding at the end then went just Goat formula - I have heard though now its harder to get as goat milk formulas are in huge demand and Karicare can't keep up! ( Holle do goat formula but I have not tried that one)

Thanks
    Reviews

We had great success with Heinz nurture its a lot cheaper than the other formulas on the market but just as good in my opinion

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: What's the best formula for 7mth old who is mixed fed? Suggestions please

Bellamys organic all the way! I was 100% impressed and happy with it when we switched from Bf to formula

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Bellamy Organic for us

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by meljemillie View Post
    yep was going to say Nan Pro apparently its the closest to breast milk??

Sent from my GT-S5570 using BubHub
    I was told Nan HA gold is closest? That's what I use for my mixed fed DD, with no probs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooze View Post
    My DD was solely BF until about mths, but now my milk is getting low & I only have enough for 3-4 feeds a day. So were doing 1-2 FFs a day.

I've been using S26 original stage 2 for the last 2 weeks but I'm not sure its right for her. She is doing a lot of poo, one or two a day. Their really stinky too! Lots of grunting, but she's not constipated as their consistency of thick paste, but its obviously hard work for her. She's a bit disinterested in her solid food as well, but that might be just a thing & not related.

I've also heard of Karicare and Bellamys.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Should I try switching to S26 newborn?

Which formula has worked well for your mixed fed bub?
    I fully formula fed from fairly early on, but have found Karicare to suit DD the best.

In relation to her BM's... Formula fed babies generally poo every day as its not as digestible. Their poo is usually a thicker, paste like consistency too so this is perfectly normal and I was assured of this by my MCHNs when I was comp feeding. The smell could be due to the formula, or just from her solids I know DDs smell a lot more now she's eating a lot of food!
    As for her working harder to poo, this sounds fine to me. We had a lot of constipation problems but if she's looking every day and not crying in pain as she does I wouldn't worry. If you're really concerned, try upping her water intake. You can also add prunes into her diet or offer some brown sugar in a bottle of water. It has a softening effect.

Thanks
    Reviews

Ok so I spoke to my MCHN today & she suggested the HA formula as it easiest to digest. But I vaguely remember the NAN one being on tv as it had some issue a few months ago with babies getting sick apparently??

So I've decided to stick with the S26, but the newborn stage 1 (the whey to casein ratio is easier to digest) until I've done more research on the HA types.