+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How do I get DS to drink more?

DS1 is 2.5 and I struggle to get him to drink anything. I've tried having a drinkbottle on his table, putting a jug out so he can pour his own and offering whenever I have a drink. He won't even drink cordial or juice most days - I offer it in the hope that he might drink something. He is constantly dehydrated, has dry lips and the smelliest nappies. I want to get on top of it before summer so amy ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe get him to choose a cup/drink bottle with characters from a show he likes? Or let him decorate one with stickers etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Role model it. Have your own water bottle and make time to sit and drink with him for a minute or so. Works for me and my ds. I also encourage ds to have a cup of water after/before brushing teeth in the morning so its part of that routine and I get an extra bit of water into hi.

Thanks
    Reviews

My dd1 is the same and often constipated .

She always has access to her drink but just doesn't drink much.

She'd is loving icy-sticks at the moment. Watermelon. Juice. Not sure what else to do.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DS was doing the same at 2.5months just for water tho, he has never had cordial & only have had a sip of adult juice. We told him that he needed to drink more water or his wees will go yucky. It didn't scare him he was happy to drink more after that & now tells us off when we drink no water lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does he like smoothies? We get DS to help make smoothies and then pour into a plastic cup that looks like glass and he loves it! And we make a big deal out of it when he drinks or eats we clap act suprised and tell him how smart he is. Have you tried letting him drink out of water bottle? The ones we drink out of. DS loves it! Although it gets him wet a bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi all, thanks for all the ideas. I might head down the smoothie track - made with lots and lots of ice and make some homemade icypoles. I spent all night last night getting up to pee because of all the water I drank - I'm sure it's great for me but unfortunately didn't seem to get DS to drink.

Smoothies here we come - any ideas on how to make them us healthy as possible?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

We do an afternoon smoothie every day, I use either A2 or almond milk usually and add a dollop of plain yogurt plus either banana , strawberry
    And blueberries ( or whatever fruit is on hand) plus I add a small bunch of baby spinach or LSA mix if I think he needs a extra boost!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We use banana probiotic milk ice blueberries or strawberry, yogurt. You can try all sorts of fruit

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another option is jelly. I used to buy plain unflavoured gelatine and mix with 1/2 water 1/2 juice and leave to set. This was recommended by a speech pathologist & dietician for our oldest daughter who was having trouble swallowing thin liquids when she was younger. The jelly melts once inside your stomach and is as good as a drink.