+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Designer Brands In Not-So-Designer Shops

I just saw an ad for Target and it showed the new Roberto Cavalli collection which will be available at Target. I know other designers have chosen to make collections for Target in the past.

My question is, do you think that designer brands that sell in not-so-designer shops cheapen the brand in your mind at all?

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes I do, I know it's probably silly and I do shop at Target but when designer brands become available at a shop like that I stop seeing that brand as something exclusive and rare.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPrint For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (29-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Doesn't bother me. I guess it's better that they make these things affordable for the average person so I don't have to hear any more about one's chanel handbag or tiffany's jewellery that cost X amount of dollars, and now they can't afford food lol.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (29-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

It depends if they lower their design quality when they do it. Obviously they are going to have to use cheaper materials and they will be mass produced items with no hand-seen details, but they can still stay true to their brand.

A lot of designers have their own diffusion lines anyway so doing a collaboration with a chain like Target isn't all that different.

If they do it for a cheap buck and turn out stuff that is cheap and nasty then I'd think less of the brand - but because they were insulting their consumer with tat and assuming they'd buy anything as long as it has their label on it, not because they had done a collaboration.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Some of the collaborations are just awful. I was in H&M in NEw York when they released the Karl Lagerfeld collaboration and it was awful - really cheap and nasty. Other collaborations though have been amazing. The first Stella McCartney for Target one all those years ago was great. I bought a suit which was well made and stood the test of time. I also have a pair of jeans from the 2nd collection I wear constantly.

So I guess it depends. Roberto Cavalli is pretty out there so I'm not sure it will be that great, but I wouldn't pay full retail for that brand anyway (even if I could afford it, which I can't )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Interesting the sizes only go from 8 - 16....that sizes me out of the market! I am an 18!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think it cheapens the brand, but rather gives that brand more exposure to alot more people, which I feel puts a positive spin on the label. I am surprised the high end fashion market is able to stay afloat at all these days! I am all for 'designer' clothes in Target I will be checking it out this week.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Gumnut76  (30-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no idea how any of those designer brands make money, I work at the Paris end of Collins Street and I never ever see anyone in the designer shops. I'm not surprised they have to sell in Target!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's good that all people can have access to things that only those with money get to buy.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Does it decrease the cultural status having pictures of the Mona Lisa on tote bags or tea towels?

I think it just exposes more people... it's one thing to have a Mona Lisa tea-towel, it's another thing altogether to go and see it at the Louvre.