+ Reply to Thread
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tips for gently weaning 12 month old?

Ive posted before about my reoccurrant mastitis and now with my eighth case in 12 months (13th course of antibiotics) I've decided to begin gently weaning my bub. He's almost 12 months.

He eats very well and is happy to take a bottle of rice milk etc (dairy allergy) so im not too concerned about daytime. Its nighttime I'm more worried about.

Usually when he wakes he goes on the breast for a feed and is asleep again instantly. How do you handle this when weaning at this age?

I'd really love to keep feeding if it wasnt taking such a toll on my health, so I at least want to make weaning as gentle as possible for both of us.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No advice, just hugs. Sorry, that suxs. Stupid mastitis!

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Tips for gently weaning 12 month old?

Will you be weaning onto demand feeding formula? Rice milk?

If you are just dropping specific feeds then either swap for a meal or formula/rice milk. Ie if you bf instead of morning tea, offer yoghurt etc.

I went from demand to only feeding for sleeps when dd1 was 14mths old. So over a month I went from 5-7 feeds a day to 2.

Dropped the wake up one first and went straight to breakfast. Next week dropped the morning tea one for yoghurt. Third week afternoon tea to cheese/crackers. Fourth week - night weaned. Kept naptime and bedtime feeds till 19mths tho. Then used cows milk in sippy cup.

Pick foods your son will prefer to bm to assist in changeover.