+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default My bottle teats have a greasy film on them. How do I get it off?

Now before you jump in & say clean them, I've tried everything! It's on the inside & outside of the teats. Kind of greasy feeling, slightly milky looking film. Thinking it might be milk fat or proteins (i feed EBM) as the teats that I use for formula don't have the problem.

I even bought all new teats last month thinking they were just old, but its come back on the new teats!

Normally I scrub teats in hot soapy water with a brush, then sterilise. Sometimes I also use a dishcloth to really get inside. I've also run them through the dishwasher but thats no better.

Is there something else I should try? Do they need soaking in something? Help please!

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews

Could you try and boil them, and see if that helps?

Thanks
    Reviews

I had the same problem once I started giving cows milk to DD in a bottle. Not sure how to fix it though!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

lovemybabies!  (29-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Have you tried Milton?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: My bottle teats have a greasy film on them. How do I get it off?

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Have you tried Milton?
    What is Milton?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get a little bit of dishwashing liquid on my fingers and rub each one, then rinse under very hot water. That gets rid of the film on mine....

Thanks
    Reviews

I used to get that - you're right, for me it was the EBM, it didn't happen with formula. The only thing that got rid of it was boiling them, although I switched dishwashing detergent randomly and did find it made a difference, not just with the bottles but with all my dishes in general. I don't think it is harmful at all, it's still clean, it just looks yuck. EBM is so fatty!

------

Milton is a liquid or a tablet that you dissolve in water and soak the bottles/dummies in. It steralises everything. It can be handy, but I personally didn't like the smell left on the bottles. I used it on holidays where I didn't have easy access to a stove and/or microwave.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BluePixie View Post
    I get a little bit of dishwashing liquid on my fingers and rub each one, then rinse under very hot water. That gets rid of the film on mine....
    What detergent do you use? Im using Palmolive. Maybe ts something in my detergent??

Thanks
    Reviews
    just a cheapo Aldi one, nothing special.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

I find the cheap liquids work better sometimes cos they don't have the moisturisers etc in them that are meant to help protect hands. When I have cleaned the treats I rinse them in boiling water and this seems to work. DP doesn't always use boiling water to rinse off and they always have the oily residue when he does them

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub