+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Career mums - Would you choose a different career?

Great post!

I often dream up new careers. Frankly I think I have the dream job based on the dreams of my uni days. Just my lifestyle doesn't work with it now. I work in professional services. The years it could have ben glam, travelling the world etc I have spent instead watching others do that as I have 3 kidlets.

Right now I'm thinking if a shift to something else - I can always do the travel in my late 40s!

Shame musical theatre isn't my forte, I'm not creative at all, so envious of the creative types. But if I could reinvent, I'd love to be an interior designer

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Career mums - Would you choose a different career?

I work in a childcare centre and have always wanted to work with children in some way. I love my job but in saying that I always wanted to work with children who were troubled etc. but I think I'd get too emotionally attached and want to take them all home. I've worked in the industry for 12 years and I get to have my dd close by so that's a massive bonus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yes, I'd choose something different. I work in marketing, have done quite well, earn good money, get to work on some cool projects/clients... But I don't love it. To progress from where I am now I'd need to be willing to commit lots of time to work and focus on some of the things I don't like about my job. It's not worth it.

If I had my time over, knowing what I know now, I'd probably work in health in some capacity. Or if I'd had the confidence at the time, I'd have pursued TV/Film production as that was what I did at uni.

I kind of fell into my career, I didn't put as much thought into it as I should have.

I find it really interesting that so many women go through this career melancholy, often when they have their kids.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (01-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would definately choose something different. My career will always involve long work days and although my job is a dream job to many people (I'm a veterinarian) the actual work is often emotional, difficult and even boring. It is not a family friendly career anymore, unless you are lucky enough to have a supportive partner with more flexible availability esp dealing with child care centers - I just can't leave work on time if an emergency comes in. Still parts of my job are wonderful and I still can't think of anything else I'd like to do

ohh and I forgot to say - my job does not pay well. Most people have the idea that vets earn a lot of money and are wealthy but the truth is after 20 years I'm the lowest paid graduate of all my friends. My teaching, marketing and engineer friends all earn substantially more than I do.
    Last edited by Waggers70; 01-11-2012 at 08:03. Reason: Adding more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tizzy View Post
    I work in a childcare centre and have always wanted to work with children in some way. I love my job but in saying that I always wanted to work with children who were troubled etc. but I think I'd get too emotionally attached and want to take them all home. I've worked in the industry for 12 years and I get to have my dd close by so that's a massive bonus.

I would live to work with children to. I love to chat with the kiddies when I drop DS off to kindy. They all have such different personalities and are all fascinating and beautiful in their own way. I get a lot out of it. As a career though, it just doesn't pay enough. But I'm thinking of continuing my post-grad studies in developmental psych...
    Last edited by Ellewood; 01-11-2012 at 08:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Waggers70 View Post
    I would definately choose something different. My career will always involve long work days and although my job is a dream job to many people (I'm a veterinarian) the actual work is often emotional, difficult and even boring. It is not a family friendly career anymore, unless you are lucky enough to have a supportive partner with more flexible availability esp dealing with child care centers - I just can't leave work on time if an emergency comes in. Still parts of my job are wonderful and I still can't think of anything else I'd like to do

ohh and I forgot to say - my job does not pay well. Most people have the idea that vets earn a lot of money and are wealthy but the truth is after 20 years I'm the lowest paid graduate of all my friends. My teaching, marketing and engineer friends all earn substantially more than I do.
    Wow, never knew that! Doesn't seem right at all. Animal physiology varies a lot more than human physiology, yet doctors earn heaps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would have chosen the same career (I work in community services specializing in working with homelessness and drug and alcohol clients). However I would have gone into government rather than NGO. I don't believe it is ever too late though. When my 18 month old is in school I will look at further study and hope to put my years in non government front line work into working within policy development Everyone of you are intelligent, driven women and regardless of now being mum can do whatever you choose!!! Gee, retirement age is so long away....it really isn't too late.

Thanks
    Reviews

If I didn't feel like it fitted I would choose something else! I recently got a job that I really love getting up in the morning and going to! I feel like it is actually worth being away from my son for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't mind my career - accountant. I get to work closely with big company top execs & help guide organizations in the financial decisions they make - so its pretty interesting sometimes.

The only thing I don't like is that it is a Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm gig, no exceptions & to get any higher than where I am now I'd have to invest alot more hours.

I would live a job like nursing or occupational therapy or even a Gp, just for the flexibility of hours & still good money.

I guess when ur 17 & deciding ur career u don't think about being 29 & wishing u could spend just a few more days a week at home with ur babies.

It's pretty much too late for me to change now, I earn too much, my family relies in that money & I'm good at what I do, I do enjoy it do it's ok.

Thanks
    Reviews

I would so change, I'm a hotel manager. People think it's interesting but it's long hours, lots of pressure and crappy pay!!

I'd like a job that offers me lots of flexibility for a decent amount of money. A job that I wouldn't have to be based in the city would be great.