+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Needs understanding on milk production

If bub feeds at breasts, and I pump right after his feed, I don't get much.

Even when I feed say 1-2hour before a pump session, nothing much comes out. Bear in mind I do hand compressions to remove as much as I can.

My question is what is the rate is milk produced and stored in the breasts?

The maternal nurse says that there will always be milk in the breasts. I assume she is saying milk is constantly being made. Then why do I not pump much right after feed? Shouldn't my body keep making since I am demanding? It seems so slow to make the milk.

And sometimes my right breast will produce more milk and sometimes my left more instead. Can't both make more? Do you experience this too?

Thanks
    Reviews

If you are trying to pump straight after you won't have much. You have an excess of milk in the first couple of weeks then your body produces what your baby takes- if they eat a lot it will catch up and produce more. If you are wanting to express I would do it on the next side your due to feed off about half an hour before your baby's next feed- leaving the other boob full for the baby's actually feed. Because bf works on supply/demand you will start increasing your milk supply if you are feeding and expressing. Make sure you are eating and drinking enough too. Hope this makes sense.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummyx2 princesses For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (29-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Pumping isn't an indication of supply. Pumps are just not as efficient as babies for getting milk. I never get more than 20ml when pumping. My friend bf her DS exclusively for 6 months, her was always in the healthy weight range, appeared chubby and content and she could never get more than20 ml when expressing. You need to understand that pumping is not the same as breastfeeding. Pumping full time means you have to work much harder to maintain your supply. And yes, there is always some milk, you're right, they keep producing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Pumping isn't an indication of supply. Pumps are just not as efficient as babies for getting milk. I never get more than 20ml when pumping. My friend bf her DS exclusively for 6 months, her was always in the healthy weight range, appeared chubby and content and she could never get more than20 ml when expressing. You need to understand that pumping is not the same as breastfeeding. Pumping full time means you have to work much harder to maintain your supply. And yes, there is always some milk, you're right, they keep producing.

I know I keep reading this but am asking about milk production rate. A bub who's sucking efficiently certainly beats the pump but DS2 doesn't, he usually nibbles till I whip out the Medela SNS. It's all about milk flow. Cos my milk flow is slow, so gets sleepy n nibbles. Once the SNS tubing gets into his mouth, eyes open and suck suck suck. Cheeky.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2TwoDSs View Post
    I know I keep reading this but am asking about milk production rate. A bub who's sucking efficiently certainly beats the pump but DS2 doesn't, he usually nibbles till I whip out the Medela SNS. It's all about milk flow. Cos my milk flow is slow, so gets sleepy n nibbles. Once the SNS tubing gets into his mouth, eyes open and suck suck suck. Cheeky.
    Maybe try to avoid the sns and instead make sure you have a good latch and focus on keeping him awake? Unwrap, undress, skin to skin, tickle his feet or cheek if drowsy etc. use sns as a last resort iykwim?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (29-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Maybe try to avoid the sns and instead make sure you have a good latch and focus on keeping him awake? Unwrap, undress, skin to skin, tickle his feet or cheek if drowsy etc. use sns as a last resort iykwim?
    I try nurse him before giving formula via the Medela SNS tubes (cut down bottle feeding already to avoid refusing my boobs) but he can get impatient and when he gets nothing or flow slow, he pulls and lets go of my nipple, re latch and does the same thing. My nipple wana fall off... Very sore...then he will fuss and screams.. Then I will give formula via SNS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think ther has been a slight improvement. I can manage to pump out about 20ml now if bubs not nursing, compared to the usual 10 and occasional 15ml. Think there is an increase in supply but its b(;:dy hard work.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2TwoDSs View Post
    I think ther has been a slight improvement. I can manage to pump out about 20ml now if bubs not nursing, compared to the usual 10 and occasional 15ml. Think there is an increase in supply but its b(;:dy hard work.
    Missie mack put me onto a breastfeeding herbal tea, look for Blissful Herbs on Facebook. I've been drinking it a few days now and I really think its helping, my DD is down to three comp feeds a day from 4, I expressed 30 ml today when I often struggle to get 20!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm, bubs now manages to drink more mouthfuls from my breasts and they feel fuller. Still latching on a lot, pumping as often. If he zzz for long periods I will pump instead of disturbing his sleep. And mostly using the SNS to nurse either ebm or formula rather than bottle.

Thanks
    Reviews

I would pump whilst feeding/nursing the baby.

When dd2 was hospitalized and being fed through her nose my supply tanked horribly from stress. So I started taking motilium 3 times a day plus eating/drinking well. I was also pumping 2hrly round the clock. But always tried to pump with my baby in my arms or right next to me as I seemed to make more then. Also one fabulous PICU nurse would put bub on my chest every few hours to stimulate hormone production.

So have bub on one boob via SNS and pump the other if possible or straight after.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (31-10-2012)