+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Bumping an old thread so as to not duplicate...

What do the current members think of 1-2-3 magic? Is it worth getting the book?

Is a 1, 2, and 3 given for the same offence? (Eg ask Johnny to put his shoes on 3 times and then it's time out). At what age is it effective from?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing...I just bought the book

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We recently borrowed the DVDs from a friend so DH and I could both watch and get in the same headspace at the same time. DD is 2.5, it really is working ( even though I was very cynical at first). The only thing I would say is, make sure your DH also reads the book as consistency is key!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I actually never bought the book but it seriously works - well my version anyway! I started it when he was about 21/2 so just over a year ago

I've got to 3 maybe twice in over a year, I always give a warning if by 2 he has not done/come when I say eg: if he's playing I'll say we have to go out soon so can you put your shoes on and go to the toilet please , if he says no or I keep asking I'll start counting , if I get to 2 I'll say "if I get to 3 there will be no playing cars in the morning ( he always plays cars in the morning before breakfast) and he 99% of the time will say ok and run into his room - I don't do time out so can't tell you about that - DS works far better on consequences - now I usually just say "don't make me start counting!"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started a thread about 123 magic not too long ago, there were mixed opinions about it but I liked the sound of it so I bought the book and I'm almost finished it. I really like it. It has taught me a lot more than just counting. Counting is for behaviours you want to stop, but the book also gives advice on how to get kids started as well, ie if they won't get dressed etc.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dollypops For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't bought the book either and my version of 123 magic also works very very well. 90% of the time I only get up to 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Bumping an old thread so as to not duplicate...

What do the current members think of 1-2-3 magic? Is it worth getting the book?

Is a 1, 2, and 3 given for the offence? (Eg ask Johnny to put his shoes on 3 times and then it's time out). At what age is it effective from?
    Sorry only just read this properly, my dd is 2.5 yrs old. Some of the book is aimed at older kids but I still took lots from it. Many parents use some form of counting but 123 magic is pretty specific and takes all the arguing and negotiating out of things. Once you have the hang of it all you say is "that's 1" there is no need to elaborate to explain it to your kids. The book also taught me when it's appropriate to count and when not to. It's quite strict and not for everyone but its Like most books on parenting, you take from it the bits you like and ignore the rest.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dollypops For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think one of the great things about counting is that it gives us both time to calm down - I know I think first before I raise my voice and I know he thinks about the consequences before getting too revved up so it really can easily diffuse a situation that could have caused a tantrum or argument

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you do the course in person? I did it when DS was 4 & DD was 3-4mths. Definiyely helped. It helps the child choose the next course of action

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPopsicle View Post
    Can you do the course in person? I did it when DS was 4 & DD was 3-4mths. Definiyely helped. It helps the child choose the next course of action

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I've never heard of an in person course, might have to look into it.