+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 5 week old only sleeping in arms

Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    I hate to break it to you, but babies cry. Sometimes they will even cry in your arms or your bed because they are just tired and don't know how to get to sleep. I wouldn't suggest cio or cc, but I do think you need to learn the difference between a "I need to go to sleep and am winding myself down" to a "OMG, where is everyone, I'm scared" cry. Crying in a safe, supported environment is not bad, nor harmful and can be part of the getting to sleep process. Learn what your babies tired signs are, develop some cues that it is sleep time and put your baby down. You can be right there if you like, but some babies get overstimulated if you are continually holding them/trying to settle them and you just make things worse for them. I find this is especially so around 4mo when they get more aware of their environment. Sit next to your bub and sing or shush or whatever you want to do, but try giving them the opportunity to get to sleep on their own. I co-sleep with my baby, but often put her down before I go to bed.
    It's not really that she is crying.. I put her down asleep and then within 5 mins she wakes up and lays there wide awake. If she is quiet I can leave for for maybe max 15 mins, I won't go get her. But then she will build into a cry which I can tell isn't going to be a go back to sleep cry, it's a "I need you mum where are you?" cry.. If that makes sense

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    Also set yourself up to sleep on the lounge, recliner if need be. Remotes by your side, drinks or snacks and sleep there if you have too. Pillows and blankets by your side. I also used a wheat pack to warm cot before placing DS in after a feed if he fell asleep on me. Do you swaddle? The Velcro ones are great. I used to feed then swaddle then top up to sleep then put in prewarmed cot.
    She hates being swaddled! I have to wrap her once she is asleep which probably wakes her more too. The best way is that I wrap her then let her arms out so that she is half already wrapped once she is asleep. I tried warming her bassinet mattress tonight, I fed her to sleep half wrapped whilst sitting on the bassinet mattress on our bed (lol, the things we do!) then wrapped her arms back in and put her in the bassinet but it didn't work either!

Thanks
    Reviews

I may just have to live on the lounge lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: 5 week old only sleeping in arms

My son is 6w today, and for 2 days last week, he only wanted Day naps in arms and was cat napping. Then he went back to having his normal 2-3 hour nap in the swing, thankfully.

Thanks
    Reviews

Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Have you tried grobags as an alternative to wrapping, if she likes arms out? Or woombi style swaddles that are one piece and zip up? They might help.
    My DD sleeps in a bassinet at night and on me or DH during the day, so I'm no help otherwise! On approx three occasions in the past 6 weeks I've managed to put her down for a day sleep
    I'm just going with the flow for now but I do try to put her down each day, she's spends slightly longer on her rocker or in her bed each time. I think perseverance will pay off eventually!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 5 week old only sleeping in arms

Hi,

I saw this post was a few months old, how has the sleeping and settling been going?

Thanks
    Reviews

Bub is now 11 weeks and has settled into her own routine of being a day catnapper, but at night she will fall asleep between 7.30-9.30 and stay asleep all night, by herself, only waking for feeds. Sometimes I will have an hour (or 3 lol) nap during the day with her to get a good day sleep in for her. But I have just learnt to clean at night lol. I find it much easier to get to food and the loo etc now though. She is content now to play by herself on her activity mat for 10 mins or so at a time which allows me that quick break. Thanks for checking in

Thanks
    Reviews

I have to correct that post by saying that we bedshare at night but she settles in our bed by herself and is happy staying that way until I go to bed - anywhere between midnight and 5am lol - hence my day nap !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds normal to me, sorry. I don't like letting her cry, but sometimes, it would seriously get her to sleep to let her cry for a few minutes, then cuddle her. She was constantly cuddled for the first few weeks.

I say give the baby chiro a go. I've only ever heard good things about them.