+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 5 week old only sleeping in arms

My 5 week old DD has been rather clingy from day 1 and has either co-slept or been in arms from the beginning, which I don't mind, except the last 2 days she is refusing to sleep by herself at all. I can usually get her down for a few naps of 2-3 hours each during the day which allows me to do some clothes washing, dishes and eat! I'm really struggling to even eat at the moment. I try and settle her at the boob and then gently put her down but she is awake and upset within 5 mins. She is so over tired at the moment and is having trouble nodding off even at the breast. Tonight I had a bath with her and gave her a massage to try and settle her but it was no good either. I've tried wearing her but its only good part of the time. Do i just put this down to the 5 week old wonderweek and ride it out? Or is there anything else I can do? I'm really struggling!

*Also my post is in the no-cry section and I am somewhat of an AP/natural parent so please don't suggest CIO/CC - thank you x

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 5 week old only sleeping in arms

My DD is now 3.5mths and we do the whole no cry thing too. She was exactly the same. I dont know if it was just a coincidence but i took her to a chiropractor at 5 weeks and she was a completely new baby afterwards. She, too, was born via emergency c-section after a long 4 days of contractions. Apparently her spine was out of alignment as her head was basically being banged up against a wall for four days. Because she was in some discomfort she couldnt sleep - much like us if you think about it.

Like i said, maybe it was a coincidence and she just grew out of it at the same time as we saw the chiro but perhaps its worth considering? It only cost me $6 per session with private health insurance.

Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9210T using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pilbarablossom For This Useful Post:

Missbean  (08-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Could it be reflux? Most babies that don't want to be out down have reflux. Can you get a baby sling and wear her during the day so you can get stuff done. Have you tried a bouncer or baby swing that is more upright than a cot? What about the car? I have been known to have a hour sleep in the woollies car park while bubs is asleep. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for your reply She was born 100% natural with no problems and only 11 hrs of labour so hopefully that's not the case.. But I will definitely keep it in mind as a potential reason.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    Could it be reflux? Most babies that don't want to be out down have reflux. Can you get a baby sling and wear her during the day so you can get stuff done. Have you tried a bouncer or baby swing that is more upright than a cot? What about the car? I have been known to have a hour sleep in the woollies car park while bubs is asleep. Good luck.
    She doesn't have reflux. No baby swing, tilted bassinet, cot etc will work. Sling only works part of the time for some reason. She loves the car so a car ride was to be my next option tonight but she has thankfully fallen asleep at the breast so I'm not moving from the lounge for a while!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My baby was like that and I didn't get a reflux diagnosis until she was 3 months, so don't rule it out.

Cuddle her to sleep but only put her down after she's been asleep 20 minutes, when she's in the deepest part of her sleep. I used to try too early and she would stir.

I found it hard to get stuff done with my clingy baby, but seriously just enjoy it. I'd kill to have her sleep on me now (she's 1) but that stopped at about 9 months, she just wanted to play. Those early months when she would sleep on me and snuggle in were delicious. Well... Until you have to pee!!!

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I hate to break it to you, but babies cry. Sometimes they will even cry in your arms or your bed because they are just tired and don't know how to get to sleep. I wouldn't suggest cio or cc, but I do think you need to learn the difference between a "I need to go to sleep and am winding myself down" to a "OMG, where is everyone, I'm scared" cry. Crying in a safe, supported environment is not bad, nor harmful and can be part of the getting to sleep process. Learn what your babies tired signs are, develop some cues that it is sleep time and put your baby down. You can be right there if you like, but some babies get overstimulated if you are continually holding them/trying to settle them and you just make things worse for them. I find this is especially so around 4mo when they get more aware of their environment. Sit next to your bub and sing or shush or whatever you want to do, but try giving them the opportunity to get to sleep on their own. I co-sleep with my baby, but often put her down before I go to bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub was exactly like that so that just sounds normal to me. She was a really happy baby but just wouldn't sleep without being held. I just went with it and she grew out of it at around 3 months. It's pretty full on at the time but it really does go by so quickly and all that extra touch is great for her brain growth and bonding. If you're anything like me, you'll look back on this time and regret stressing about it and not just letting everything else slide for this brief period in your darling girl's life. Good luck and enjoy your beautiful daughter

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Also set yourself up to sleep on the lounge, recliner if need be. Remotes by your side, drinks or snacks and sleep there if you have too. Pillows and blankets by your side. I also used a wheat pack to warm cot before placing DS in after a feed if he fell asleep on me. Do you swaddle? The Velcro ones are great. I used to feed then swaddle then top up to sleep then put in prewarmed cot.

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh my boy was cuddled to sleep for about the first 4 months and at 18 months has now gone back to it. I love it and miss it.