+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Could my milk supply have dropped?

Friday night I had suspected food poisoning and ended up at the hospital about 12.30 Saturday morning where they put me on a drip and gave me maxalon, buscopan and morphine along with 2L of fluid. As I couldn't keep anything down I obviously had nothing in me, could this have cause my milk supply drop? I'm worries as dd3 seems to continuously be feeding. She's 2 weeks old so I know it could just be normal but I'm not feeling a letdown at all and my boobs feel Empty all the time. Also what foods are best to boost my supply?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews

It is likely your supply dropped from this. Bubs is doing her bit to bring back up to suit her needs. You can get tablets that have Fenugreek and Blessed thistle in them from Herbs of Gold at the health food shop. You may notice a difference within a day. I certainly did .

Thanks
    Reviews
    try and keep your fluids up as being dehydrated can affect your supply... and just keep putting her on letting her suck as this is a great way to increase your supply... at 2 weeks it could be that she just needs more... but id say as you have been sick that it has affected your supply... you can get recipes online for lactation boosting cookies... and I think there are other vitamins and thigns you can take to help... but I have always found that letting her feed more often boosted my supply fine... https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-...0%93mum/supply have a look at the link it has a lot of great info!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks girls

Quote Originally Posted by Emi View Post
    try and keep your fluids up as being dehydrated can affect your supply... and just keep putting her on letting her suck as this is a great way to increase your supply... at 2 weeks it could be that she just needs more... but id say as you have been sick that it has affected your supply... you can get recipes online for lactation boosting cookies... and I think there are other vitamins and thigns you can take to help... but I have always found that letting her feed more often boosted my supply fine... https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-...0%93mum/supply have a look at the link it has a lot of great info!
    Hmm the link didn't work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh odd... Its just from the Australian breastfeeding association website...

Thanks
    Reviews

Ok thanks il check it out.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Actually probably not. Given you were on a drip you would have been sufficiently hydrated. Maxalon not only stops nausea, but is a galactagogue; a drug that increases breast milk supply and can be prescribed for this reason. If your supply has reduced, I would suspect it was more due to your anxiety than anything else, however I would guess you just have a young baby doing what some young babies do. Being a third baby, you may not feel your breasts as full as previously and you may also experience the let down differently. My best advice to you would be to stop stressing. Spend a lot of time skin to skin with your baby, put your feet up when you feed to help the let down and just relax about the whole thing. Watch your baby. Do they have plenty of wet nappies and some periods of being settled? That is a much better indicator of where you are both at.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi there

I have utmost sympathy, my bub is 6 months but last week I had a 24 hour bug, vomiting and just yucky!
    Now I am pretty familiar with my supply, and yes, am still feeling far emptier than normal. So I think regardless of being hydrated with iv fluids, it still takes a toll on your body.

But don't forget, that by about 2 weeks your supply might be starting to settle as well.

Just keep feeding and offering, bub could also be having a growth spurt.

Good luck, hope you're back to 100% soon