+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nits and pregnant!!! :(

My 3yo son keeps coming home from daycare with nits! it is such a hassle - I have been treating his hair with various shampoos, and putting conditioner in it and combing with a lice comb EVERYDAY and nothing keeps his lice away. Now I am itchy! I have been combing my hair and found a few eggs but no nits - I Combed my hair both with conditioner and also dry, everyday and have been getting nothing out, but my hair is so itchy it's driving me crazy.
    I had a long weekend and havnt had time to comb our hair for about 4 days (even tho I had been combing for weeks beforehand) and my hair seems to have them again

Can I use a shampoo like kp24 whole prehnant?!?! How do I get them gone for good?! I have noone to comb my hair except myself and it's very thick and long so although I comb until nothing Comes out, I am paranoid I've missed some egs lol

Help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ops sorry - I did have some eggs the first time I combed my hair but no nits, and ever since I've been getting nothing out

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Can I suggest that once you get rid of them from your own hair, you shave your DS hair. Is that an option or do you like his hair a certain length? My DS got nits and was crying at the pain of trying to get that tiny comb through his hair so I shaved it....not completely bald but I think we took it to a number 2. Was soo much easier, so we do that now when he gets nits because they spread soo fast.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I wouldn't use any of those products while pregnant .. (sorry )

I would just continue to comb through with conditioner everyday.

Do you have anyone who can check your hair? I'm a teacher and I often feel itchy, but its often more because I THINK I have nits, and that my scalp is just dry .. I get hubby to check my hair every other day just in case .. lol

I dont believe you'll get anything out of your hair while its dry? the sods are just too good at hanging on .. but drenching it in conditioner and then combing it .. you should be getting some out if you have them ..

good luck
    Jen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

You need to leave the conditioner for 20 minutes at a time and make sure you are combing through very fine sections of hair with a nit comb.
    You need to keep this up for 2 weeks in order for it to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys.
    Well, he has beautiful blonde ringlets which I absolutely love because he is dark skinned. I don't want to shave them off, but I am sooo sick of this I am seriously thinking about it! I do have my partner to check my hair when I see him, but he works away a lot and with the new baby on the way he has been doing a lot of extra work so havnt really seen him the last few weeks I will get him to check next time I see him.

I do leave the conditioner in, usually around half hour before I comb. But what does leaving it in actualy do?

I just washed my hair, put conditioner through it, brushed my hair straight and then sat on the bottom of the shower and combed it with the Luce comb for about 20 minutes. I've decided not to bother cleaning/disinfecting our brushes, I'm just going to throw them out and use combs for now.

I wash our sheets etc in normal laundry powder - should I use a disinfectant ? If so, how do you disinfect laundry detol?

Thanks everyone

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    nits cant live for more than 24 hours if off the body .. so changing the sheets should be enough ... they die when off the body for too long.

I dont leave the conditioner on for that long .. but I do leave it for at least 10 minutes before I start combing ..

the conditioner (I believe?) stuns the nits in a way .. and they cant grip onto the hairs??

Thanks
    Reviews

Two things a hairdresser told me. Use a straightening iron regularly the heat kills the eggs. Dye your hair regularly something about it kills them off.

I have thick curly hair and a friend whose kids forever have nits and I am petrified of the little buggers as they are so hard to get out of my hair.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend was telling me about her sister (who has extremely long thick hair) and her 6 children. Apparently she uses the shampoo/salt solution and pegs a pillowcase to the kids heads (face out of course). Apparently after the waiting time (a movie) the pillowcase is full of dead head lice that have jumped/fallen off the kid's heads. I think it's the salt.

We haven't had head lice this year (thankfully this year DD is not hanging around the kids with lice problems), so I haven't personally tried it, but would LOVE for someone to try it and tell me whether it worked.

Anyway, I found a website (American) that talks about the method/quantities. Cheap shampoo + salt + time. Couldn't be much easier. Here is the website for you to have a look

http://licegone.wordpress.com/2010/0...ant-head-lice/

Please let me know how you went if you do try this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Nits and pregnant!!! :(

I can't remember, can you use lavender and tea tree oil when pregnant?

Before DS goes to school you can give his hair a spray with either or both of these oils. Nits only attach on to nice clean hair, so if it's oily before he goes he'll be less likely to pick them up.

Good luck

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII, please excuse any errors!