+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsoptomistic View Post
    I suppose you have to also consider supply and demand in your area, and how many kids you'd need to max profit and get an economy of scale... I am paid well, but still couldn't afford that. Best of luck, I'm sure you will do great!
    Maybe it is too much. I am also going to be the only childcare service where we live. I have a fairly good list as I have been taking enquiries but I'm getting back to parents about pricing/hours this week and I have no idea, I'm not so good at this part lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Default I am about to start Family Day Care, what do you think - Pricing etc...????

Maybe you could offer a "discounted full day rate" or a weekly rate for full time care? Not sure if you will do part time days for part time mums? Doesn't seem viable (hence my q about hourly rate vs day rate) I'd be looking for full week care (consistency of Kids) and a flat day rate so I know what I am up for each week regardless of hours... Maybe I'm just high maintenance!?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsoptomistic For This Useful Post:

Ready To Run  (28-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default I am about to start Family Day Care, what do you think - Pricing etc...????

Ps: I'd also prioritize those wanting full time care (with my business hat on) I know that's not helpful to part time working mums though!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsoptomistic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Will you have minimum hours?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zombiekitty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiekitty View Post
    Will you have minimum hours?
    I was thinking a minimum of 3 hours/day???

Thanks
    Reviews

I think $10/hr for what you're supplying is good. Plus if you're only going to have 1 or 2 extra kids that aren't yours, it's gotta be worth it especially for tax purposes.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleButterfly4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    OK have been working a few things out - If I cut the supply of Nappies & Wipes how does something like this sound?

Hourly Rate: $8.50/hr/child (minimum 3 hrs/day)
    Full Time Daily Rate (8.5 hrs):$65.00 ($7.60/hr)
    Full Time Weekly Rate: $60.00/day ($300.00/week) ($7.05/hr)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it sounds very reasonable if it is eligible for CCB and CCR? At DS's c/care centre they deduct these directly so my out-of-pocket is minimal. Would you do that too?

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm not saying that $10 is too much to pay, just that I couldn't afford it :-) when working FT I dropped dd off at 730 and picked up at 6pm for $71/ day, before rebates and i only supplied nappies. BUT the provider had a large ratio of kids per carer... Therefore better profit.

I suppose if you calculate what your time and effort is worth and what people are willing to pay first you can work out how many hours you can offer and when.. I personally wouldn't want to be offering min 3 hours, just because of the difficulty in calculating income and possibly consistency.. And shuffling around the more kids thought the day. (ie: if I could have 3 full time, I'd prefer that, than having 6 per day for 3 hours each, some morning, some afternoon) does that make sense?

Anyway I have seen a few businesses close due to a great idea, not being considered in terms of $... Not saying that in your case at all, but it Would suck to put in all the effort to start something up to find it's actually not viable!

I hope you find what works for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    I think it sounds very reasonable if it is eligible for CCB and CCR? At DS's c/care centre they deduct these directly so my out-of-pocket is minimal. Would you do that too?
    That was what I was planning to do as the CCR can now be paid weekly or fortnightly. Most of the parents I have been talking to have 2 kids - 1 in school 1 little one and would be both working - for the care they require after CCB & CCR it would have worked out they pay around $190.00 per week which I think would be quite reasonable and I would have made enough that it would be viable for me to do it. I have all new equipment and I think I have a lovely set-up/home.