+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Coping with morning sickness at work

I am really struggling with morning sickness and am finding it a challenge to cope with at work. I work full-time, am the only woman in my group, and am not planning to tell my boss that I'm pregnant until I'm at least 12 weeks.
    Does anyone have any tips on how to cope at work?

Here is what I'm finding difficult:
    • Performing well - I have a fairly high-pressure corporate job. I have ms and am exhausted, so I'm finding it hard enough to drag myself in to the office and physically get through the day, let alone concentrate and work hard. How did you focus and keep working hard?
    • Feeling nauseous and vomiting - I am going to the bathroom at least once an hour to pee and usually to hang around the toilet in case I vomit. The resource director sits right next to the door and he sees me go in and out all the time and it makes me feel very self-conscious that he knows how often I keep going to the ladies.
    • I want to leave at 5pm every day as I'm just soo tired. But because my boss doesn't know I'm pregnant, I don't have this 'excuse' yet so I can't leave early.
    • Meetings - I now dread going to meetings and having to give presentations as I'm afraid that I'll faint or need to rush out to vomit. What do you do when you feel very sick in meetings/presentations?
    I'm dreading work tomorrow! I feel so sick and have so much work to get through this week and just don't know how I'm going to do it.

The pregnancy books says 'lighten your schedule' and 'take rest breaks during the day' but what if you have a job where that is not possible? Once I tell my boss I think he will go easy on me but the problem is that when you feel worst it is the first trimester and you can't tell your boss.

What do you ladies do to get through the work day?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Coping with morning sickness at work

I doubt my job has as much pressure as yours, but I'm secretary for a partner of a top tier law firm in Brisbane and also struggling, especially with the whole leaving at 5 because I'm about to fall asleep thing. My boss doesn't know yet and can be one of the least sympathetic people I know. I'm expected to work whatever ridiculous hours are necessary to get my job done. Pre pregnancy this wasn't an issue but dh is getting angry at me for not putting myself and baby first.
    Re morning sickness, I have found fruit tingles ease the nausea really well, so I tend to keep them with me at all times and pop one in my mouth when I start to feel sick. Regularly having something to eat can help too. Are you able to snack at your desk? I keep a pack of rice cakes in my drawer and try to eat a piece of fruit mid morning too.
    I hope you start feeling better soon !!

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrstuilawa For This Useful Post:

sproutx3  (24-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    My boss knew at 9 weeks, I think if you can trust your boss and are comfortable sharing your news, then do. I trusted my boss and I also looked at it this way - if I had a miscarriage before 12 weeks I probably would have told him anyway because I would have needed time off work.

Is there somewhere you can rest during your lunch hour? We had a prayer/quiet room which I would spend some time in.

I kept the morning sickness at bay by carrying a can of ginger beer around with me all morning, looking back it would have been obvious to anyone but perhaps you could hide it in a mug? Later on I just swapped the ginger beer for milk (that helped with my heartburn).

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can get get some maxalon or zofran prescribed from the doctore. these would help immensly with the nausea and vomiting.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

Eilonwy  (28-01-2015),LadyInWeighting  (07-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Just be careful that maxalon doesn't make you more sleepy! I tried it, but it makes me tired so its no good when I'm at work.
    Blackmores ms tablets helped me massively with the all day nausea. I find I am still vomiting but most days it is no where near as often as it was before I started taking the tablets

Thanks
    Reviews
    im also really struggling at work.. the site of the work toilet makes me ill every time i go in there because of how many spews i have been having lately. Im going get some of the blackmores tablets at lunch and give them a go. I cant wear seabands at work thats just way to obvious! although good thing i work for local government so as soon as its 5 everyone is out of here.

Thanks
    Reviews

Prinny how did you go with the blackmores tablets? I hope theyvw helped a little

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I second telling your boss! It will take the pressure off you feeling like you have to perform as normal and your boss can stick up for you to maintain your secret if anyone mentions anything about the toilet breaks or leaving early. I was off work with MS (just constant severe nausea with only a little bit of vomiting) for a week at 7 weeks so I told my boss then and she has been absolutely wonderful (though is a terrible liar, another manager asked her if I was pregnant coz I was so bloated at 11 weeks, and her face gave it away LOL!).

I also found that the only way to curb my MS was to keep my stomach full, especially in the morning. I would literally finish one snack and eat another; I was taking about 8 different snacks plus lunch to work every day. I'm not sure if any of my colleagues noticed the constant eating, but the two who sit closest to me are both size 6 and eat like grasshoppers so probably think I'm always a pig haha. I was mostly eating things like dry cruskits, fruit, yogurt, and other types of crackers - anything that didn't require any prep at the time and I could eat immediately.

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree to tell your boss.
    Ask them to keep it quiet as you don't want others to know until 12 weeks.

I had horrible ms and I had planned to tell my boss at 13 weeks. I was struggling that bad I couldn't hold out that long and I told her at 10 weeks. And guess what? She already knew. She used to be a nurse and said she picked up on it when I could've been about 5 weeks.
    So.... Instead of fighting through it, if you tell them they might understand when you run to the bathroom or need to leave as you are falling asleep. It would be better to let them know now, rather then fight with it as they might already know and it would make the coming weeks easier for you....
    Good luck, ms sucks!

Thanks
    Reviews

I wish I had an understanding boss... There's no way I could tell him I'm trying to suck it up and deal with it then ill tell him after my 12 week scan