+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I looooveeee books. I love the look of a full bookshelf and finishing an actual book

I put around a 100 books onto my iPad when I went overseas and found that reading the electronic screen hurt my eyes too much (apparently the kindle/ebook readers are better for your eyes then the ipad screen) and then came into a bit of trouble when I ran out of battery an hour into an 8 drive.... Was very jealous of the other people in the car who had brought real books....

I think it has its advantages and disadvantages. Being able to use an electronic version of my textbooks and do readings on the train for uni, or only needing to take my ipad into a tutorial instead of a bunch of heavy textbooks was fantastic but I still used the real books at home.
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 27-10-2012 at 22:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Do you still buy books?

yes I love real books trying to hold back on buying them here in the US as I don't want to have to bring them all back haha! so have been going to the library hate e books though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    real books.

for me it is the ritual of reading a book - in my bed, my dimmed bedside lamp, the feel of the pages, the smell and texture - and i love that sleepy eyed feeling when you just try to keep reading but can't.

just not the same on an ipad - although for overseas travel they are great as i am a neurotic obsessive packer (as a family of 3 we only ever had backpacks, now as a family of 4 i have had to bite the bullet and have one stowed bag )

hubby loves books too. we actually have a shed with bookshelves, carpet, beanbags and all our books

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post

hubby loves books too. we actually have a shed with bookshelves, carpet, beanbags and all our books
    Um so when can I move in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    That said, I've never really bought many books. As much as I'm an avid reader, I only buy books I really love. Generally I just borrow books from the library anyway.
    This
    I worked in public libraries for 10+ years, so with such ready, free access to books didn't buy many in that time. Once I stopped working and started going to bookshops again, I couldn't believe how expensive books had got!! Even secondhand ones. So I'm a very regular library visitor - and anything not in my local library I just ask them to get in for me from elsewhere in the state - FREE!
    I do buy books as gifts for kids though
    Last edited by 4fullstop; 28-10-2012 at 01:04.

Thanks
    Reviews

I only buy the real deal. Bugger electronic books. I'm the same with CDs. I must have the actual CD.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by zombiekitty View Post
    I only buy the real deal. Bugger electronic books. I'm the same with CDs. I must have the actual CD.
    That's interesting! Me too with music! It seems like such a good idea to have all my music on an iPod or whatever but that's something I haven't done either.

Maybe I am just too old and all this new fangled technology is confounding me?

So nice to hear that others love a real life book. I was thinking I was behind the times or something. I may try an ebook as we are going camping on the weekend so it's a good chance to try it out (still might have to bring a paperback just in case!)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle_N View Post
    That's interesting! Me too with music! It seems like such a good idea to have all my music on an iPod or whatever but that's something I haven't done either.

Maybe I am just too old and all this new fangled technology is confounding me?

So nice to hear that others love a real life book. I was thinking I was behind the times or something. I may try an ebook as we are going camping on the weekend so it's a good chance to try it out (still might have to bring a paperback just in case!)
    I've got a lot of my music on my iPhone but I had to get someone to show me how to do it
    I have over 500 CDs and stacks of books. LOVE them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read a lot, I buy books and keep them, I love them.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I adore buying books and don't pay to download books. One of my favourite things to do is walk around a book shop I always end up with one or more books!