+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do you divide your time between a newborn and a toddler?

DS is 20 months old and DD is 2 weeks old.
    I have been feeling very guilty since DD is born because I cant spend as much time with DS. I cry everytime he wants a cuddle and I am unable to cuddle him because i am breastfeeding. DH would take him out to the park and DS would cry as he leaves the house becauae he wants me to go with him but i have to stay home and mind DD.
    DS used to co sleep with me and would cuddle up to me in the night and wake me up in the mornings with lots of cuddles and kisses but since DD is born we havent been co sleeping and i just miss all that so much.
    DD at the moment is quite a sleeper during the day and i have been trying to spend some time playing with DS whenever DD is asleep. However when shes asleep i am also super tired and have no energy to actually play with DS plus i would try to get some work done too.
    I just feel like i havent spent much quality time with DS and i am paranoid that he will love me less. I know this sounds silly
    I feel so guilty and feel like a horrible mother. I havent even had the energy to cook something yummy for the family since DD is born.
    I feel so jealous of DH, he gets to do all the things with DS that i cant.
    Then i also feel bad about DH. Hes been so supportive and have put up with a lot of me crying and has been doing his work and mine and also helping with housework as much as he can and i just feel so guilty and feel ashamed that i cant even cope with 2 babies with all that help.
    How do you spread your time between 2 under 2 and all the house work and work?
    How do you make sure your toddler is still getting a lot of you and spends quality time together?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is very difficult but for me it is starting to get a little easier. Whilst I am BF DD2, DD1 sits with me watching her shows cuddling in with us. I do house work whilst DD2 is sleeping and have DD1 to help she loves it and we dance around making it a game. Now DD2 is getting older BF are becoming more spaced out & they can now bath together which gives me a few extra "spare" minutes.

It isnt perfect, I still have days where I cry and worry about what kind of mother I am. But it is getting better slowly.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to winterbaby For This Useful Post:

tubster  (27-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I used to feel exactly the same, but I used to make sure that every night was my time with my daughter. I'd bath her, read her a book and put her to bed. It made me feel better. I'm due in 8 weeks with number 3 and feeling quite anxious about it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

tubster  (27-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone else ? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Can your husband look after bub for an hour or two so you can take DS to the park? I have 4 girls 5,3,2&8months and I make sure one day a week I do something with each of them alone eg- take one to do the groceries, one comes for my morning walk in the pram where we talk the whole way, take my eldest riding.
    My girls love the one on one time as they know I made a special effort to take just them and it's actually a break for me to get out of the house with them.
    As for house work I wake up and put a load of washing on and hang it out during breakfast. I also pick one thing to do a day from bathrooms to changing bedding, floors etc. if I don't do my one thing a day my house gets trashed..
    I couldn't help you with work I take my hat of to all the working mummies

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

tubster  (29-10-2012)